Player Weight !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
No, a coach shouldn't talk individually to a player or her parents about weight unless asked individually about it. Do you honestly think that an overweight kid doesn't know she's overweight, especially if she's obese? Not only is she aware of her weight, she is generally PAINFULLY AWARE of it. The only time a softball coach should address nutrition is in a group setting, like inviting a nutritionist to a practice to talk to the team about how to feed the machine that is an athletes body. If a coach thinks a kid is too fat, don't pick her up for the team.

There are a hundred reasons why a girl will stop playing softball; she doesn't like it, she isn't good at it, it is too much work, boys/social life is more important, she can't physically play, etc, etc, etc... DD has never had a coach pull a player and/or her parents aside to discuss what she does outside of softball unless it is effecting another player or the team. If a kid is too fat to play softball then she will find something else to fill her time, I've seen it happen many times. If a kid thinks it's too much work to be a good pitcher, she will find another position or quit softball, I've seen it happen many times. Why focus on weight?

I speak on this subject with knowledge. DD is 17, 5'10", 275 lbs. She is extremely aware of her weight and it effects her physically and socially, even among her team mates. As parents, we did what we could to keep her weight down but a teenager that wants to eat, will eat. She is proud of the fact that she is very strong, able to bench press more than most football players in HS. She is proud of the fact that she still holds the 8lb shotput record at her middle school. She is also extremely proud of the fact that she earned a full ride scholarship pitching for a college in Texas, she had to make a difficult decision on what school to attend since 3 college coaches wanted her on their team (she chose the school that was the best fit for her). My point is that her "weight" has not changed the fact that she is successful at many things, INCLUDING SOFTBALL!

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Our HC has never addressed weight issues with individual players. We do however spend a lot of time exercising, running, agility, core strength and such during our winter workouts. Our girls run 5 to 8 laps around the field at the beginning of every practice during the season.

Others have posted before that excessive running isn't necessary for playing softball, but when you have to fight out of the losers bracket to the championship, our girls still have their legs under them and are ready to go because all of them are in shape.

Our bigger girls always lose weight during winter workouts and keep it off throughout the season. They may gain some back over the off season, but it gets burned off again that winter. Nobody is expected to be a certain size but they certainly are expected to be in shape by March.

Feb 5, 2013
My DD just turned 12 yo. She is going into Middle School and wants NOTHING more than to make the school's softball team. She works hard at softball in the off season when her friends are at the beach or the pool. But she knows that the major issue with making the team is not her skills, but her size.

Oh yeah, did I mention she is 4'10" and 85 lbs? (I would say that her friends, athletes and non athletes, are averaging about 5'4" and 110 lbs already ... some as big as 5'9" and 165 lbs).

I just wanted to point out that there is another side to the issue the OP brought up. In all likelihood, she is going to walk on the field for tryouts and the coaches won't even be watching when it comes time for her to hit, field, and throw. Seen it already. They want the biggest, strongest girls they can find and they think they'll teach them the skills they need. I ran into this my entire playing career ... and while I was hoping my kids wouldn't have to, it looks like they'll be resigned to the same fate. A recent coach of my daughter told me, "Well, I can't teach size".

So before you think the grass is greener, feel lucky that your daughters will at least be given a chance to play TB and on school teams. In the meantime, I'll be working on DD's skills.

Jun 24, 2013
I was worried last year about DD making her MS Team, mostly because of her small stature. They did not care, hopefully your DD will have a similar experience. (Your DD is bigger then my 12YO DD. :))

Edit:

My favorite complement is when someone has not seen DD for a while and says something along the lines, “I forgot how small she is”.

Last edited:
May 10, 2010
If you want the truth height alone will prevent kids from playing in college. How would a parent take it if tb coaches set height minimums on players? An over weight kid can always loose weight, its kinda hard to just grow at will. I have always thought FP is a game anyone can play. Some where some how labels and some ones idea of what an athlete is at 10 is going to decide the rest of some kids future. We already judge players by speed and stats do we have to throw in what size they are also.

Feb 5, 2013
@James Smith - Glad to hear your DD made the team and the coaches were open minded.

@splinterpicker - I agree with you 100% about height minimums being unwritten guidelines (if not an actual rule). Also agree about prejudgment of players limiting them later on. I was under 5 feet tall when I got to high school. I was 5'10" at graduation (but didn't grow until Junior year) and I'm now 6'0" tall. I was absolutely denied opportunities in sports due to my height and not my skill.

But @James Smith has given me SOME hope that times have changed. Unfortunately, even recently, I've seen that is the rare exception.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Guess what - height wont stop you playing college softball - but you should really bring some elite skills or attributes to the table (such as speed or power) to play at the better softball schools. If you are 5' 2" and lightning quick you can even play 'big' D1 softball but there is PLENTY of room to play other divisions. Pitching - a little tougher for the bigger schools but there is a lot of 5'5" and below pitchers in college - including some very successful ones. We see a lot of CWS with big D1 schools with the 1% level talent but there is a whole range of college softball options.

Here are some rosters of some very successful college programs. The D2, D3 and NAIA teams below played in the championship brackets for their respective divisions. It is fair to adjust down some for mid-lower level schools. For every 46-5 team there is a 5-46 team.

High D1: U of Florida: 4 players listed at 5'4" (and I have met these girls and they are being generous on at least two of them)
Gator Softball Roster/Bios - GatorZone.com

Mid D1: Coastal Carolina: 6 players 5'4" and below (some listed at 5' 2")
Official Softball Roster - Coastal Carolina Official Athletic Site

High D2: West Virginia State: Entire roster 5'9" and below. 6 players 5'4" and below (and some new recruits not listed who are short as well from my local area)
West Virginia State University - 2014 Softball Roster

High D3: Salisbury: 6 players 5'4" and below. Most of the roster 5'9" and below
2013 Salisbury University Softball Roster - Salisbury

High D3: Montclair State: 8 players 5'4" and below
Montclair State Athletics - 2013 Softball Roster

High NAIA: William Woods: 5 player 5'4" and below
William Woods Athletics - 2013 Softball Roster

Last one: Local average record D2 school (33-22 last season): Nova Southeastern: 5 listed below 5'4" (new recruits not listed let) - likley to be 8 when they do.
The Official Athletic Website of Nova Southeastern University - 2014 Softball Roster

In addition college rosters almost always exaggerate heights. I was listed as 6'3" and 6'4" in college basketball - I am just on 6'2". I remember playing against someone listed as 6'5" who was at least an inch shorter than me. Some of those 5'2" players I bet barely make 5'

As for the original post. As a coach it is my place to have a private conversation with the parents of a player I am coaching to let them know that their daughter's fitness level is going to effect how well she plays and if she was fitter or stronger she would have more chance of reaching her softball goals. As a coach who only has a player so many hours per week I can partially help but it is on the girl and her family to figure out how they manage her overall fitness. I would NEVER ever directly reference her weight or bring the word 'fat' into the conversation - there is no need to - they know. I have also had this conversation with parents about their kids eating habits (skinny kid, ate junk food ALL the time - no endurance).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
Wasn't it Georgia a couple years back with Schloppy and the CF, equally smaller players that were standouts? Size of SB athletes isn't cut and dry. Short ones can be super fast, bigger girls are long ball hitters, lately the dominant pitchers were tall. All other positions are held by a variety of players. I think there are stas out that the average college sb athlete is 5'6 or 5'7.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
My DD just turned 11. She is 4'8 and 67lbs. Not a big girl. Everyone and I mean everyone comments on her size. All but a couple on her team tower over her. She doesn't care one bit. When a coached commented on her small stature she replied "I have heart and a lot of it. That makes me 6'5"."

The doctor says she hasn't hit her big growth spurt yet and still has a ton of growing to do. But we have been told to feed her more, etc..by many people. She eats 5-6 times a day, takes vitamins and protein shakes. Her metabolism is fast. By the top of the 2nd inning she is starving.

Apr 9, 2012
We are making this too difficult. The reality is we dont talk to parents about the little details of how to catch hit etc (only major things). We show the player through example and expectations.

So coaches lead by example and take the words out of it. Research proper pregame nutrition and give a handout to the players as well. Keep it about softball when handingout research (hence the pregame information). Have a properly researched conditioning program. Refer to an expert as many will gladly teach you at no charge.

Now if a child was truly obese and had potential health issues it needs to be at least noted in private with the parents. I use my medical release form to ask about health conditions. If an obese child loses consciousness at your practice due to weight or lack of conditioning/health who will be liable---THE COACH, THE TEAM/CLUB, THE FIELD/TOURNEY.

Protect the child if needed-lead and teach softball related otherwise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA