Player Weight !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
In my opinion if any coach thinks any of thier players performance is suffering they should be able to mention it to the player in question. Whether its a weight issue, a lack of practice on thier own, not keeping in game shape, or even if they are messing around at practice and not taking it serious. They have to do it without being negative or demeaning to the player but stick to the facts. If a player is loosing playing time and its cuz they can't run down a fly ball or beat out a grounder deep in the five six hole and they used to be able to do it then that conversation needs to happen as to why. This goes for anybody boys girls men and women...

May 27, 2013
ITA with softballmom on how everybody (not just our dd's) should eat. You should grab something - be it a handful of nuts, a piece of fruit, etc. and eat within 1 hour of waking to hold you over until you can get breakfast. For your main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), think of the piece plate (shaped like the peace sign or more like the Mercedes sign, actually) - 2 handfuls (your own handful, not somebody else's) of grains, 2 handfuls of fruits/veggies, and one handful of a protein. You want healthy snacks in between with a low glycemic index that will help to maintain your blood sugar throughout the day so you don't get the peaks and troughs and will sustain your energy. Think celery or apples with peanut butter, trail mix, etc. for snacks. Eating like this will not only help one to bump up their metabolism, but will also sustain their energy and will keep them from feeling hungry throughout the day. Also, drink plenty of water! Cut down on the Gatorade and other sugary drinks - they are not good for you. Do not skip meals - like SM stated, it will cause your body to think it is starving, so it will start storing fat, will decrease metabolism, and will burn muscle for energy. Also, do not ignore hunger signs - stomach growling, etc. You should be eating something every 3-4 hours. Listen to your body. This diet is not to lose wait, but to maintain a healthy weight and steady blood sugar throughout the day.

Dec 20, 2012
Me and my DD try to eat somewhat healthy. I make food for 4-5 days at once and put it in individual serving containers. If it is prepared ahead of time it makes it more convenient and they are more likely to eat better. It is usually her lunch thru the week. During school, when she has a set schedule she does VERY well. Her daily diet stays pretty consistent.

breakfast- protein banana nut muffin and banana
2nd hour- protein bar
lunch- chicken and rice or a turkey and spinach wrap and greek yogurt
6th hour- protein shake
after school/dinner- I tell her go eat some fries or pizza, just don't get crazy
if she gets the munchies around the house we keep protein bars, fresh fruit, and some junk food....

Weekends at the ball fields we pack a cooler with precooked chicken breast, spinach and cheese for wraps. Lots of protein bars, fresh fruit, water, sandwich stuff. Anything to keep her out of the concession stand.

Being young and active I'm not concerned about eating out in the afternoon. As long as she is getting what she NEEDS having a little junk food is not gonna kill her. So many kids stay hurt because they never get the nutrition their bodies need in order to heal properly. It's amazing how much more energy they have and how they are not sore after pitching multiple games all because they keep a decent, not perfect, just a decent diet.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
First off, a TB coach most likely would not have to be in that situation, because they would not have taken the girl. Second, the best way to approach this subject is to leave the weight out of it. Tell them they need to work on their speed. You want them to get faster. Set a speed goal for them. Then work with them to get to that goal.

It's called diplomacy. Which was described to me years ago as telling someone to go to hell in such a manner that they are looking forward to the trip.