Player Struggles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
Hoe do you address with a player their struggles hitting a certain pitch (riseball, curve, etc.)? Do you tell them to lay off pitches in certain zone (low inside, low outside) or location (comes in waist high, don't swing)? Thanks for the input.

I'm sure she's aware of not being able to hit a certain pitch. But if it's my player, that pitch is what I would be working on most in hitting practice and showing and telling her how she needs to adjust to that certain pitch which ever that pitch is.

Apr 13, 2015
What about struggles in general for the team....a good hitting team but all of a sudden the team isn't hitting the ball solid 1-9...so what do some of you do as far as drills or practice scenarios. Are there things as a coach that we can do to help get that mojo back

Apr 13, 2015
Following closely..............I can't get around on the inside fastball and I can't lay off it, either.:p

Agree Cowdogz....mental aspect is toughest for 15-16 yr old girls. We do various hitting stations which work on the swing and just hitting, so physically we are good...Thanks for advice

Jul 6, 2013
While this is likely to be met with poor reviews, I like for my girls to be as far forward in the box as possible on faster pitchers....the ones who can make a rise and curve actually move. Move back in the box on slower pitchers. Hopefully we can get on those pitches before they break. For the most part, it has been fairly successful for us.

Following closely..............I can't get around on the inside fastball and I can't lay off it, either.:p

If you can't get around on the inside pitch, why don't you look for the inside pitch and react to the outside pitch that you can handle. Most hitters struggle at the plate because I believe they try to cover the entire plate from first pitch of the at bat to the last pitch until 2 strikes I think it's best to pick one side or the other depending on your strengths and weaknesses until 2 strikes.

While this is likely to be met with poor reviews, I like for my girls to be as far forward in the box as possible on faster pitchers....the ones who can make a rise and curve actually move. Move back in the box on slower pitchers. Hopefully we can get on those pitches before they break. For the most part, it has been fairly successful for us.
I treat the rise like I do a CU......hit something else before you see one besides most kids can't throw one for a strike anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00