Player problem! Need advise..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Idaho
Have a player that is/was a really decent player. To start off she had a great attitude and never complained, she is a okay pitcher and a great 3rd base always stopped the ball, very aware of what is going on in games etc. The past two weeks she has had a horrible attitude and bringing down the team at practices and really down at games. Have talked with her one on one and twice with the parent (single mom.) Even the team "mom" has talked with her along with other starting players. Usually the player is a starter but since things have gone down hill with attitude she did not start in last weeks game. Thought this week would be better but guess I was wrong. The week before she was such a disruption at practice that I had to tell her to leave. In my whole 10 years of coaching I have never had to tell a player that for disrupting the team.

Tonight at a game I had her in the lineup as sitting out the first three innings and was bringing her in at pitcher for relief of my starting pitcher. Right from the start tonight as soon as she seen the lineup she was mad and didn't want to even warm up with other pitchers prior to the game. I explained what the game plan was and everything. So after the 3rd inning my starter was still on with pitches throwing strikes. Player decided on leaving the dugout to go tell her mother that it looks like she will not be pitching (leaving the dugout during games is not allowed unless emergency or bathroom) she came back and I told her I am putting her in as a sub at her usual postion at 3rd. Once on 3rd she just stood around and let 4 balls get passed her and missed 5 thrown balls for 5 runs to home plate on us. I pulled her and sat her out the rest of the game. After the game AC,myself and parent and player had a discussion and all the player kept telling me is "its crap you sit me out" I finally had enough of the glare from her and told her and parent "either she wants to be part of the team or she doesn't and to think on it until practice on Wednesday" and left it at that.

I am such at a loss on what to do with her, other parents have complained that they do not want their player around this negative player. I have 2 that are out with injuries and they would give anything to get back on the dirt.

I coach a travel asa team that is a competetive league and have some hard tournaments coming up, with tournaments I do not have to play every player, but with league games they have to play at least 2 innings and 1 at bat.

Any advise?? Cut her as a player and move on?? Or continue with the disruption until the end of August??

Thanks

Apr 9, 2012
Have a heart to heart talk with her. Process that information and then have one with the parents. Tell them YOUR options.

This coming weekend is the official start of the tourney season with state and world series coming fast. if they can not work this out then you exercise your options as you feel necessary.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I understand your frustration, but telling a girl that she is going to pitch after the 3rd inning, then not bringing her in....well. In the future I would suggest that you tell a player your going to relieve if the pitcher gets in trouble, that way your not breaking any promises, that is unless you bring someone else in to relieve.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have had players in the past, that once school was out, they had to go off of their ADD medication. Could that have happened here?

Mar 31, 2012
I have had players in the past, that once school was out, they had to go off of their ADD medication. Could that have happened here?

There was a thread on here earlier this Spring with the EXACT same kind of facts and it turned out the player had developed undiagnosed juvenile diabetes, remeber?

Apr 26, 2012
How is the mom's attitude/ behavior toward this situation? I'd bet anything this girl has something going on at home since she didn't have an attitude at first. In the last two years I've seen two situations where one of the best players just stops caring and gets that "I don't care" attitude. In both cases they had more going on at home than any child should have to deal with. They can't get their frustrations out at home so they do it at softball or school.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
There was a thread on here earlier this Spring with the EXACT same kind of facts and it turned out the player had developed undiagnosed juvenile diabetes, remeber?

It wasn't the exact same kind of facts. But it is true that low or high blood sugars can change a child's personality quite a bit.

Apr 17, 2012
Idaho
Thanks everyone... I am 100% sure it is not the health issue. As of lately I have talked with player and her mother and basically had her choose either she is playing for the team or is not... she is having a way better attitude and will continue to play!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach