Player of The Year award

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
This is true. I don't think anybody is going to argue with you if you say she is the best hitter in college softball. Not pitching to her was pretty weak IMO, especially when teams were doing it when they were losing by 10 runs..Nobody is going to remember which team she broke the record against.

It was against UH (Hawaii) with her family in attendance. Easy to remember… she was back in her home state. But if it had been somewhere else might not be as memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
It was against UH (Hawaii) with her family in attendance. Easy to remember… she was back in her home state. But if it had been somewhere else might not be as memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I know who she broke it against and with that thing called the internet anybody could find out if they really wanted to but the point is nobody is going to care and it was lame that people were not pitching to her when the games were out of reach..perhaps I should have used that phrase instead.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What would happen if the biggest hitter like Alo were walked every time.

That's a fun question. I'm not going to do the actual math on this, but she's unique and the normal rules of thumb don't apply to her.

In most cases, a player who gets on base every single time is worth more than one who gets on base half the time, but Alo gets on base around 2/3 of the time. And her slugging is just so massive that, well, I'm pretty sure it makes up the difference.

For most "biggest hitters" on most teams, you'd trade their performance for the player who walked 100% of the time. But Alo's a different breed.

What that means is it's almost certainly a smart move to intentionally walk her every time because she's actually better than the player who never makes an out.

May 20, 2015
didn't read the whole thread, i'm not that bored......but simple question........did any other player have as much impact as she did in 2022?

and how would we feel about a pitcher who didn't hit winning after an equally dominant season?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
didn't read the whole thread, i'm not that bored......but simple question........did any other player have as much impact as she did in 2022?

and how would we feel about a pitcher who didn't hit winning after an equally dominant season?
Your questions were all addressed earlier, but I am bored, so I will recap.

Alo had a monster season at the plate. But did her season equate to more wins for OU? Probably not because they were so dominant in every facet of the game. If she wasn't there, they most likely still win all the games they won and don't lose any more than the two they did.

As for a dominant pitcher, yes, I would be OK with them winning player of the year. Georgina Corrick from USF pitched 274 innings this season. She had an ERA of 0.51. Without her in the circle, their record is nowhere what it was. Is she the exception rather than the rule? Yes. I think they burned her out and resulted in her getting hurt at the end of the year, which wound up costing them a chance at going to Supre Regionals.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Your questions were all addressed earlier, but I am bored, so I will recap.

Alo had a monster season at the plate. But did her season equate to more wins for OU? Probably not because they were so dominant in every facet of the game. If she wasn't there, they most likely still win all the games they won and don't lose any more than the two they did.

As for a dominant pitcher, yes, I would be OK with them winning player of the year. Georgina Corrick from USF pitched 274 innings this season. She had an ERA of 0.51. Without her in the circle, their record is nowhere what it was. Is she the exception rather than the rule? Yes. I think they burned her out and resulted in her getting hurt at the end of the year, which wound up costing them a chance at going to Supre Regionals.

Wouldn't OU players be disqualified from the award based on that criteria? No single OU player was necessary to get the #1 national seed and sit now among the 4 teams 1-0 in the WCWS, imo. So if the criteria excludes OU players from being player of the year, isn't that a flaw in the criteria?

All just a matter of opinion, mind you, but these are the reasons I prefer to search for the best player, not settle on the 11th-best player just because her team's weaknesses conspired to make her more "valuable" to that particular team.

re: Corrick - I haven't watched her play, and I trust she's really good. But South Florida's schedule ranks #92 nationally, according to Massey Ratings. I don't know that I could endorse any player getting POY without playing a more competitive schedule than that.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Wouldn't OU players be disqualified from the award based on that criteria? No single OU player was necessary to get the #1 national seed and sit now among the 4 teams 1-0 in the WCWS, imo. So if the criteria excludes OU players from being player of the year, isn't that a flaw in the criteria?

All just a matter of opinion, mind you, but these are the reasons I prefer to search for the best player, not settle on the 11th-best player just because her team's weaknesses conspired to make her more "valuable" to that particular team.

re: Corrick - I haven't watched her play, and I trust she's really good. But South Florida's schedule ranks #92 nationally, according to Massey Ratings. I don't know that I could endorse any player getting POY without playing a more competitive schedule than that.
Should they be excluded? No. Should the players around them be taken into consideration? Absolutely. My argument is OU is no worse without Alo because they were so dominant otherwise.

Here's a crazy stat for you: OU has hit 138 home runs this season, of which 29 were from Alo. If you remove her 29 home runs, they still hit 109 home runs. That number is still greater than all but two other teams. OU averaged 9.2 runs per game, a full 1.22 runs per game higher than their next nearest competitor.
The point about Corrick was to show just how valuable a dominant pitcher can be versus a hitter in an absurdly good lineup with amazing hitters surrounding her,

Jun 8, 2016
A dominant pitcher in softball is always going to be the most “valuable” player. This is how POY is often looked at by the committee I think. If every coach in the country got to pick their team 1-10 (with a DP) who would have the most votes…

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I just have trouble saying, "You were the best player in the country this year, but you can't get the most prestigious individual award in the country because a player not as good as you didn't have the cast around her that you did.'' And as a result of that way of thinking, there's no award that recognizes the single best player in the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi