Play up or not?!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
DD is 11 YO and just finished her spring season of 12U. She's the only 08 on the team and team plans to play some 14U in the fall and then play 14U fulltime in Spring 2020. What do most DD's do? Play up or play within their respective age groups? I understand playing up has a lot (if not everything) to do with skill level and ability to play at the higher level. DD is undecided what she wants to do. She's not overly excited to play 14U but loves the girls on her travel ball team. I'm wanting to provide the best option for her to be successful and to have a good time. Current coach says we should finish the 2019 season and then assess what changes should be made if any. Only thing that gives me pause about waiting is that most 08 teams are making their initial move to 12U now and it would be a good time to make a transition if we're going to make one. All feedback is appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Sep 29, 2014
How does she fit into the team? Is she the little sister who all the other girls baby or is she mature and strong and just another girl on the team? Skillwise would you put her top third, middle third or bottom third? I think as long as she is a middle of the pack contributor and really part of the team I would be OK with just staying on the team. If on the other hand she is kinda at the bottom end and just kinda fitting in I would be more tempted to find a 12U team for her...these aren't black and white calls to make and so many factors come into play.

Apr 20, 2015
How good is the team, what level do they play, what are her goals, is there an age appropriate team that's solid in her age group? The dugout dynamic is really going to change from 1st year 14s 06 7th and 8th grade vs first year 12s. It's a huge maturity gap. I don't see a lot of benefit to playing 14uC over 12uA...now if your kid is a phenom and can play 14uA that's a different discussion...maybe...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
How does she fit into the team? Is she the little sister who all the other girls baby or is she mature and strong and just another girl on the team? Skillwise would you put her top third, middle third or bottom third? I think as long as she is a middle of the pack contributor and really part of the team I would be OK with just staying on the team. If on the other hand she is kinda at the bottom end and just kinda fitting in I would be more tempted to find a 12U team for her...these aren't black and white calls to make and so many factors come into play.

How good is the team, what level do they play, what are her goals, is there an age appropriate team that's solid in her age group? The dugout dynamic is really going to change from 1st year 14s 06 7th and 8th grade vs first year 12s. It's a huge maturity gap. I don't see a lot of benefit to playing 14uC over 12uA...now if your kid is a phenom and can play 14uA that's a different discussion...maybe...

Team she currently plays for is a good team and plays all A ball. When moving to 14's they will continue to play A ball. The big maturity gap and age differential are what concern me the most. If birthdates hit right, there's a strong chance that she'll be 11 YO playing against girls that are 15. There's a great team of 08's that are moving up to 12U in August. Therein lies the dilemma. Do we join up with a "same age" team and play A ball in 12U for the next 2.5 years or take a chance and 14U A ball now. Hitting is my concern (not hers) where girls playing 14U are spinning the ball a lot more and locating pitches a lot better.

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting is my concern (not hers) where girls playing 14U are spinning the ball a lot more and locating pitches a lot better.
You didn't answer where she fit in on the team. If she is in the middle or upper third of the team she isn't going to be the only one that struggles a bit at first...

Sep 29, 2014
She's middle to upper third concerning talent on the team.
If this is really the case then I would probably lean towards staying. I'm not as worried about the maturity dynamic because it is the same group of girls she isn't going into a new team with girls two years ahead of her. Also as a first year team at least for fall I would definelty lean towards playing a more "B" level schedule, maybe more of an A/B mix team come spring...but of course that is coach and organizations call.

Apr 20, 2015
If she's in the upper 1/3 of an 06 team as an 08 then she's phenomenal and I'd keep her with her team unless there is a national level team she can play on like the Beverly bandits, California batbusters, Birmingham thunderbolts etc. Next year may be another question as her team likely won't play as much due to high school season etc for many of your 06 group. Best of luck.

Jan 28, 2017
Last season my DD was the only 11 year old on her very good Class B team. We stayed down and are playing our last weekend of A class ball. DD became our teams leading pitcher and got a lot of innings. I'm not sure she would have at the 14U level. Our 12U team normally places in local 14U tournaments. Socially she probably fits in better with last years team. Hard decision sometimes.

Feb 3, 2016
If she can play up I'd have her play up.
We are doing the same thing after a great finish to the season yesterday.
We are moving up.

Time to move is now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K