Pivot & Stride leg contribution to forward momentum?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
What percent of the total contribution from the legs to forward momentum would you attribute to each leg?

Oct 18, 2009
There is a strong possibility of developing a hip flexor injury if an athlete reaches the stride leg out too far and lands on the heel out in front of the pitcher's center of gravity. This type of overuse injury is very similar to a runner's injury caused by overstriding. With this in mind it would seem that almost all the forward momentum should be from the push-off of the pivot leg. The stride leg foot can't reach out front and pull the body forward but needs to come down with the force of contact on the mid foot under a minor knee bend.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't understand what you mean by "contribution to the forward momentum"?

The pivot foot/push off leg supplies the force to move the body forward, while the stride leg is along for the ride.

BLB

May 19, 2008
I don't understand what you mean by "contribution to the forward momentum"?

The pivot foot/push off leg supplies the force to move the body forward, while the stride leg is along for the ride.

We conducted a little experiment a few years ago where we evaluated the mechanics of the stride leg action for 5 pitchers. We measure their stride length as reference. We then worked on improving their stride leg action only, especially leading up to the 3 o’clock arm progression point on the upswing. When we felt they had improved enough, we measured their stride length again while telling them to focus only on what we had just worked on (stride leg). They all gained from 6” to 12” in stride length without realizing it. They couldn’t believe the result as they all said they were not doing anything different other than focusing on the stride leg. I must point out that their mechanics were not that far off to begin with. How would you explain this if the stride leg is only along for the ride?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As I mentioned, I was confused by your original question.

I think what you are suggesting t is that stride leg mechanics are often ignored. That is an interesting point. If the question is, "Are stride leg mechanics important?" I would say yes. If the question is "Are stride leg mechanics as important as push off leg mechanics?" I would guess the push off leg is 4 or 5 times more important than stride leg leg mechanics. But, that suggests that the stride leg is important in an efficient pitching motion.

The term "momentum" has a specific meaning. The purely scientific answer to the question as to which leg contributes to the forward momentum is that they are equal. "Momentum" is defined as "mass*velocity" (P=mV). So, assuming that the legs of a pitcher are approximately equal in mass (which seems a good assumption), and since both travel the same distance over the duration of the pitching motion in the same amount of time, both have the same velocity. Therefore, both contribute equally to the forward momentum.

If the question is "which leg provides force to move the body", then obviously the only leg that is pushing off is the "pivot leg". It supplies the force to move the body forward.

BLB

May 19, 2008
First of all, we focused on the stride leg mechanics at the 6 o'clock arm position, that is when the arm was going forward from the back swing towards the upswing and not so much at the 3 o'clock position. Sorry about that mistake on my previous post. Here's another example: stand sock feet on a hardwood floor where you can't really push off with your pivot foot. With proper stride leg mechanics and using a replant to simplify the measuring process, you can easily move away from your starting point (your pivot foot away from your starting point) at least 30" without too much effort while using the least amount of force from your pivot leg (none would be ideal for this experiment). Look at photo 2 and 14 from a series of photos from a sprinter Sprint Technique Photo Sequence. See any similarities in the legs and an elite softball pitcher just prior to the upswing of the arm? Would you say that this sprinter's left leg (mechanics) on these 2 photos is not an important part of forward momentum and contributing to max speed? Try this...When pitching, raise your stride leg off the ground then pitch. Feel any difference from pitching with a normal delivery?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Two somewhat related questions. 1) should the the stride leg be straight (or almost straight) at release to generate maximum resistance for power; and 2) should the knees touch at release and finish?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Torso and timing

I don’t see anyone addressing the role that the ‘Center of body weight’ the ‘Torso’ and the timing of what they both do during the push off.

Increased stride length is an added benefit from increased forward momentum. It almost has to be, otherwise your stride foot touches down and that momentum carries you forward. You either walk through the pitch and lose the benefit of the resistance, or you fall forward and land on your face.

The majority of your body weight is in the torso. If you get the center of your body weight forward, ahead of the pivot point, and THEN push off, you will have a stronger and faster forward momentum. The farther forward you can bring your center of body weight before you push off, the stronger the forward momentum and speed will be. Normally, that also means an increase in stride length and ball speed. Sometimes, that ‘increase in ball speed’ can be huge.

The timing of those actions is critical to the strongest forward momentum.

A pitcher that ‘Stand Tall’ all the way through the pitch, will not have a real impressive forward momentum, stride length and normally ball speed. They all go hand-in-hand.

The pivot leg and the torso muscles (Core muscles ,if you will) provide 95% of the force in forward momentum. Exactly how they do what they do and especially the timing of both is crucial for the best and strongest forward momentum.

Momentum is developed not just from the legs. It takes all three and when one is not as best as it could be, they all suffer NOTICEABLY!:)

BLB

May 19, 2008
In general, your glove side pulls your COM away from the pitching plate while your throwing side pushes it away. If your gs contributes only 5% or less to forward momentum then your mechanics are not optimal.

Oct 18, 2009
I can see that the stride leg could be a force of impulsion and the pivot leg one of propulsion. Possibly then one could think then of the stride leg being thrust forward as creating a forward momentum from its weight and velocity. I do now see that there is momentum developed through the stride leg going out. The thing that I am seeking to understand now is how to set the stride foot and leg down and avoid injury from the repetitive forces generated. I recently read Coach Lia's remarks describing the force as well above the body weight involved and as being a source of lower body injuries for pitchers. I can testify to the danger of injury as my granddaughter whom I coach has just such an injury to her left hip flexor. Her injury has been slow to heal and we currently are very concerned in not seeing it injured again.

Do you see letting the forward force continue to go at full force into the landing or of letting the force disipate before planting the "wall" stride leg down?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes