Pitching Twist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Been watching a LOT of college softball this last week on TV and noticed three different pitchers twisting their trunk towards their ball hand prior to wind up. Saw this last week and thought it was a unique case, then over the weekend five different pitchers. What is the purpose to this motion?

Nov 1, 2008
Yeah, i noticed jackie traina doing that the first time i saw bama this year and i thought it was kinda weird. Then they brought Kelsi Dunne in and she was doing that too. I don't remember Dunne doing that last year.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Yeah, i noticed jackie traina doing that the first time i saw bama this year and i thought it was kinda weird. Then they brought Kelsi Dunne in and she was doing that too. I don't remember Dunne doing that last year.

They started doing it during the Georgia series this season, I believe. Apparently they thought they were tipping pitches to a coach from the opposing team. Wonder how many pitchers will start doing it. I was listening to Michelle Smith explain her change up grip. She said she used the rise ball grip, so she wouldn't tip pitches. Probably more common than I ever imagined.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter and I were discussing this pre pitch move, I don't remember seeing it last year although I was ill last year and much of last year is a blurr. :confused:

She is going to the summer camp this year I will be sure to have her ask about it. She told me they never mentioned anythink about it in her previous camps she attended.

Jul 26, 2010
It can hide the grip, however, this pre-move twist also helps the girls from cocking their hip out to their left when they put their glove/ball hand on their right side. As the day goes on, the pitcher can get lazy and instead of putting their ball/glove outside their hip for their windup, they just shift their hips to the left and put the ball/glove where their right hip used to be, and this causes a lot of issues down the chain.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45