Pitching strategy with small strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2016
Texas
What is the best advice/game plan to help pitchers deal with this? Recently saw a high school game that turned into a hitting contest between the two teams because the only strikes being called were ones down the middle. Umpire was consistent with both pitchers, but definitely a hitters advantage.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Best advice is tell hitters to be picky and sit on the fat pitch over the heart of the plate. Game plan would be get your best fielders out there to get the outs on the balls put into play.

Jun 19, 2016
When you get an umpire that is tight both vertically and horizontally it is just about dangerous for the pitcher. My DD took one right in the ankle this weekend when the only pitches the umpire liked were fat ones.

I think the best bet is to throw really fast or really slow. Maybe a curve ball that starts in and breaks over the plate? In general the bats shut down before strike one with a tight zone so throw a fat one for strike one.

The other idea is just to walk the really good hitters and then blow it past the rest.

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
DD plays high school ball currently and one ump is upper knee to lower waist right down the middle strike zone. Besides wanting to get physically violent with this guy, lots of walks and lots of home runs.

May 6, 2015
If you want to send a message, and can afford a loss

-obtain some video backup of his consistent dinner plate strike zone
-run the BP he obviously thinks each team needs for one inning.
-switch a non-P into the circle(lets not sacrifice a P's stats for this ;), non-P wont care)
-IW every batter, but pitch to do so, ie no announcement, just instruct the girl in circle to throw nothing even remotely hittable (ie in others batters box, bouncing 2 feet in front of plate, over batters head, etc.)
-by about 12 PM and still in the second inning, with a score of about 87-X, he might get the idea.

seriously, get extensive video evidence (such that it is definitely a pattern, and not just a pitch here or there), and send to governing body.

Nov 8, 2018
I’ve battled with the strategy myself. My dd has had umps recentlythat changes the zone to right done the middle because she was striking g everyone out. Which is bs. If she can hit a corner than don’t change get the zone. WTH. Anyway.
I’ve been meaning to discuss with her because it’s been happening a lot. Her walks go up and the hits start coming f.

My feelings is to change speeds a lot. And work down in the zone to get grounders as much as possible. Use drop and change to the advantage. Low rise could work too to set up the batter maybe. Tough scenario honestly. It is so dangerous to the pitcher it infuriates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2016
Video evidence is kind of hard to get. You would need a camera in the outfield with a big zoom....elevated.

May 6, 2015
Video evidence is kind of hard to get. You would need a camera in the outfield with a big zoom....elevated.

camera mounted on backstop, just about directly behind LHB? pretty easy to see there what the umpires zone is like.

and for comparison get video, same exact location, of an umpire with what you and other coaches consider a decent strike zone.