Pitching strategy with small strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Change speeds twice as much as normal. Try to get ahead early as best you can and go for some cheap outs with movement pitches outside the zone and change ups in the dirt.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Per my DD:

Whatever the strike zone the umpire uses, there is an inside pitch and there is an outside pitch. You find the edges of the umpire's zone, whatever it may be, and pitch to those edges.

Jun 19, 2016
camera mounted on backstop, just about directly behind LHB? pretty easy to see there what the umpires zone is like.

and for comparison get video, same exact location, of an umpire with what you and other coaches consider a decent strike zone.
That location will not show height. When you have watched as much softball as I can you can be sitting along the fence and
Per my DD:

Whatever the strike zone the umpire uses, there is an inside pitch and there is an outside pitch. You find the edges of the umpire's zone, whatever it may be, and pitch to those edges.
In some cases the edge is the middle of the plate....both of them.

May 6, 2015
That location will not show height. When you have watched as much softball as I can you can be sitting along the fence and
In some cases the edge is the middle of the plate....both of them.
if you mount camera about waist high, I think that will pretty easily show high or low, heck, the times I have video'ed from shoulder high, in replay you could generally tell high or low (remember, we are talking about in theory truly egregious strike zone, not trying to define if lacs grazed the zone)

Jun 19, 2016
I honestly think that MLB TV broadcasts are responsible for the shrinking strikezone. This is just ridiculous.

Attachments

• zwubo3rjxda31.jpg
    zwubo3rjxda31.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
Jun 19, 2016
Then if you combine it with a tight horizontal zone you get this. Which is dangerous to pitchers. Especially for fastpitch with the short pitching distance. Well maybe not dangerous but at least uncomfortable. Getting drilled in the lower leg by a line drive is not fun. Every time my DD has got hit it was on a tight zone umpire.

Attachments

• zwubo3rjxda31~2.jpg
    zwubo3rjxda31~2.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach