'Pitching strategies' and a young pitcher part 1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
One of the current threads is starting to mention different pitching strategies, or what some believe to be a pitching strategy. I have heard many of those types oof comment in my lifetime. This is a chapter of my first and as always, is just this old pitchers opinion
-------------------------------------------------------------

PITCHING STRATEGIES AND A YOUNG PITCHER

There are a lot of fast pitch coaches and players that try and strategize the game. Some of them even try and map out pitching strategies as part of their overall plan of attack. I am going to list some of the most common ones I have heard and what my response is to them. Understand that this is simply my opinion and opinions vary a great deal, especially among coaches and pitchers.

Pitch ahead, stay ahead on the count. This is a good goal. This is not a strategy. When the count is more strikes than balls, the batters have added pressure on them to perform. Their options get reduced a lot. They can't afford to wait for their pitch.

Always throw the first pitch for a strike. Another good goal. This is not a pitching strategy, this is common sense. This statement is more on the lines of a goal than a strategy. Since the pitcher's job is to strike out the batters, throwing the first pitch for a strike goes without saying. This statement opens the question as to, "Should you throw the second pitch for a strike?" You would have to expand on this statement to call it a pitching strategy.

Simply put, there are 3 types of strikes;

1. A pitch that is called a strike by the umpire, that is not swung on by the batter.

2. A pitch that is swung at and missed by the batter.

3. A pitch that the batter makes contact with but is called for a foul ball, includes foul tips.

You must try to throw every pitch so the end result will be one of the three types of strikes I have listed here. Which type of strike you attempt to achieve is yet another goal. . That is where a strategy will come into effect, to try and attain this goal. What you decide next is your strategy for that batter and that upcoming single pitch. You cannot plan this ahead of time. Your strategy can only be planned from one pitch to the next dependant on the actions of the batter to the previous pitch.

For the first pitch you throw, your strategy will be based on the batter's stance, their location in the box and everything else you can see from a batter just standing there. After that, your strategy will be based on what that batter did or did not do with the last pitch or pitches you just threw. Any pitch thrown for a ball benefits the batter. You must strive to throw every pitch for a strike, not just the first pitch, every pitch!

If the count is 0 and 2, throw a slow change up. This is not a strategy. This is a sign. This says that either the pitcher, or the coach, is very inexperienced. This is the most easily recognized and expected pitching tactic in the sport. This is a pattern. It might work the first time you do it, maybe even the second time. It will not work the third time, unless you are playing against a team that has absolutely no playing experience whatsoever. Even the youngest of players recognizes this pattern when they see it. It works on occasion but more often than not, it will not work.

You have just thrown 2 strikes. If they were not swung on, the batter is either waiting for "their pitch" or something else that they can hit. They may be waiting and hoping for that slow change up that you are about to throw. Whatever you threw for the first two strikes worked, stick with one of those but change it a little. A little different location, take a few mph off of it for an off speed, something a little bit different.

Don't walk the first batter. Don't walk the second or third batter either, in fact, try not to walk any batters at all. This is another good goal. This is not a strategy. This was probably thought up by the same guy that said, "Throw the first pitch for a strike".

"Strike out the first batter" would be a more positive statement for a pitcher to be given, rather than "Don't walk the first batter", ( win vs don't lose).

When the first batter of any inning makes it to first base there is added pressure on the pitcher. Now the pitcher gets to worry about than just striking out the batter. It is somewhat of a psychological advantage for the other team. The other team's base coaches now have a runner on and 3 outs to play with to try and score that runner home safely.

Never allow the first batter of an inning to reach first base. This is yet another goal, this is not a strategy. Same basic response here as in "Don't walk the first batter". Try not to let any batter get on base.

If the count is 3 and 0, let the batter hit and let the defense do their job. This is not strategy, this is just dumb softball. Why would you want to feed a ball to a batter with the intention of letting them hit it? If that is what you want to do, do it on the first pitch and save your arm. No need to wait for the fourth or sixth pitch, let them hit the first one instead. Pitchers have been known to come back with 3 straight strikes on a count of 3 and 0. It would be better to do a pitch out if you are going to give up on your pitcher. At least then they would only get first base handed to them on a silver platter. If you feed the ball to them and let them hit, they might hit it for a double or a homer, who knows.

Stay away from throwing in patterns. A wise goal to set but this is also not a strategy. If you have read this book to this point, you realize how important not setting any patterns are to a pitchers game. How important it is to keep them guessing and never permit them to be able to rely and depend on anything being the same, from one pitch to the next.

Go through the line up once, then change your pattern. Obviously not thought up by the same person that said, "Stay away from throwing patterns". I think the first person was smarter than this one. An experienced player or coach will pick up on a pattern in the first inning. They will have the tail end of the line up clobbering you before you get to the end of the line up.

Don't always throw the same pitch on an 0 and 2 count. Well, here we are back at the pattern thing again. This is another goal and not a strategy.

There are many more of what a coach will commonly refer to as 'pitching strategies' that could be listed here. My comments to them would be on the same lines as what you have just read. Personally, I think a pitcher, catcher and coach can only form a strategy, against any particular batter, after the first pitch is thrown to that batter. Once you see how the batter responds to the first pitch, then you will have an idea of what to throw next. You can plan your strategy for the second pitch, throw it and go through the whole thing again the next pitch. I don't see how any other "Strategy" could be formed ahead of time and be effective at all; there are just too many variables to consider.

It has been my experience to realize that what many people think is a strategy is actually a goal that has been set. It is the goal of the team to win the game. It is the goal of the pitcher to strike out a batter. As the pitcher only faces one batter at a time, the pitcher has many battles to fight in the game. Winning those individual battles should be short-term goals in themselves.

It has also been my experience to note that 90% of the pitchers, teams and coaches out there have no pitching strategy at all. Their strategy, if you want to call it that, is to throw the pitchers 3 best pitches and move them around inside and out. That is normally the extent of it. There is much more involved than just speed, location and movement.

Every pitcher should have long and short-term goals, whether they set them for themselves or someone else sets them. You should want to set long term goals that you may never achieve in your entire career. A perfect game, winning the nationals and so on. Those lofty and long-term goals keep you always working to improve your pitching game. You must also realize that you may never achieve those lofty goals. You can't be disappointed if you don't throw that perfect game or you never win the nationals.

Your short-term goals should be easily achievable with every inning of every game you pitch. The short-term goal should be STRIKE OUT THE NEXT BATTER! If you can achieve that goal with every other batter you face, you will win 75% of the games you pitch with that alone.

I see pitchers go into their games with only one goal, win the game. When the game is over and they do not achieve their goal, even though they struck out 13 batters, they still feel like a loser. There was no sense of accomplishment with those 13 batters because they did not meet the goal they set for themselves or that was set for them.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Part 2

If that pitcher would have went into that game with the short term goals being 'strike out the next batter', instead of 'win the game', the pitcher would have accomplished that goal 13 times in one game. They would feel much better about the game they just pitched and about their own ability.

Don't set your short-term goals too high; it can only hold you back.

Here are a few more goals to set for yourself;

Be the strongest and healthiest athlete and competitor you can be.

Be the smartest player you can be.

Take pride in your ability and accomplishments as a player.

Take just as much pride in your accomplishments as a team member.

Always work hard and hustle.

Be a role model for other players, especially younger players.

Always have fun.

Be the nicest person you can be, on and off the field.

Set a goal and strive to achieve that goal. A goal is what you want to accomplish.

A strategy is what you intend to do ahead of time to help you achieve the goal you have set.

Don't confuse the two and think your 'strategy' is no good just because you did not quite achieve a 'goal' you set for yourself. If you confuse a goal with a strategy, you may constantly be changing your goals thinking you might find a better strategy. If your goals are always changing, how will you ever be able to achieve a goal and improve yourself and your attitude? If a pitcher hardly ever achieves any goals, they will give up at some point and probably quit. Every individual batter a pitcher faces is a little battle within itself. Win enough battles and you win the war. To the victor go the spoils, in this case, the big trophies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414