Pitching stats per level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Bring game video to the instructor for feedback.
Because~
An instructor may be reviewing what they see of a student in that lesson setting which may be a lot more comfortable than what the student is doing while they are pitching in a game.

* same with hitting lessons and catching lessons.
Even the defense can perform differently when it's a game situation where pressure is part of their performance.

Dec 20, 2023
If she is 11 y/o I’d say velocity-wise she should be able to handle 11-12U B-level hitters no problem. If she was a seasoned pitcher I’d like to perhaps see fewer walks in that many innings but that seems very good being this is her first season. How did she do when she pitched against the 14U B team?

I’d say a pitcher who is dominating at the C level (mostly K’s) should move up to B, at minimum. C level here are your rec teams that sometimes play in travel tournaments. A good pitcher will not be challenged enough at the TB level in C.

My other question would be how does she handle fielding and hitting for herself at the C level? Like another poster mentioned, she’s too young to become a PO and only pitch (my personal opinion). Would she get opportunities to be a fielder and hitter on a higher level team?

Have you asked her PC what they think? I imagine they have pitchers playing all different levels so ask their opinion. They should be able be able to give you honest feedback on her ability.
She had a very good game for an 11 year old in circle playing for that 14B team (she pitched only one game because they were waiting on their team pitcher to get there). It was a 7 inning bracket game, 2 strikeouts, and only 2 earned runs with her catching 2 infield popflies for outs. Her batting can definitely use work, she’s not the worse, she’s not the best. She is a lefty and bigger (not the biggest) for her age, it’s hard to determine whether we need to work on slapping, but travel coaches at tryouts said she’s a power hitter. On balls hit back to her she does quite well, she has dominated defensively on the 12U team she has mainly subbed for, but it’s a weaker C level team. She had 4 offers for C level teams and one of the teams she didn’t get offered I’ve heard through the grapevine the coach has really second-guessed not taking her. I tried to pick the team she would grow the most on, but we haven’t done any games/tournaments and right now not until April. I’m just second guessing my decisions and wondering if she’ll grow more staying C level another year or moving up to B if we are justified thinking she’ll do well there.

Dec 20, 2023
Bring game video to the instructor for feedback.
Because~
An instructor may be reviewing what they see of a student in that lesson setting which may be a lot more comfortable than what the student is doing while they are pitching in a game.

* same with hitting lessons and catching lessons.
Even the defense can perform differently when it's a game situation where pressure is part of their performance.
Her pitching coach has access to her video and profile on game changer. She’s got mechanics to clean up, which she is of course working on. Ironically she pitches better in games than in lessons most of the time, I think a batter in the box squares her up better when locating a pitch. She’s only hit 2 batters this fall/winter in 20 games.

May 27, 2013
She had a very good game for and 11 year old in circle playing for that 14B team (she pitched only one game because they were waiting on their team pitcher to get there). It was a 7 inning bracket game, 2 strikeouts, and only 2 earned runs with her catching 2 infield popflies for outs. Her batting can definitely use work, she’s not the worse, she’s not the best. She is a lefty and bigger (not the biggest) for her age, it’s hard to determine whether we need to work on slapping, but travel coaches at tryouts said she’s a power hitter. On balls hit back to her she does quite well, she has dominated defensively on the team she has subbed for, but it’s a weaker C level team. She had 4 offers for C level teams and one of the teams she didn’t get offered I’ve heard through the grapevine the coach has really second-guessed not taking her. I tried to pick the team she would grow the most on, but we haven’t done any games/tournaments and right now not until April. I’m just second guessing my decisions and wondering if she’ll grow more staying C level another year or moving up to B if we are justified thinking she’ll do well there.
I’d say see how the spring goes and then prepare for fall tryouts at the B level if she seems to do well.

Unless she is extremely fast, I’d avoid turning her into a slapper, especially if she’s viewed as a power hitter. It also would be another aspect of her game that she’d have to devote a lot of lessons and time to. Very difficult if she’s just starting out as a pitcher. I say that as the parent of a pitcher/slapper.

It definitely sounds like she held her own pitching for the 14U B team. If she can do that, she can easily move up to 12U B in the fall.

I‘m assuming you mean to move up in the fall and not now, correct?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I’m looking for feedback/insight from coaches on what pitching stats distinguish between an A level, B level, and C level pitching in 11/12U. This is my 11 y/o daughter’s first year/fall of travel and she’s starting out on a C team due to lack of experience, however she seems to be doing well stat-wise for 11U C level pitching in our area? Do coaches solely look at speed, number of pitches and placement? She’s been subbing this fall because her rostered team does not start until next week for the 2024 season. In 48 innings pitched, 93K, 50 BB 60% strike ratio, WHIP is 2.583, speed-wise she’s 45-48 (has hit 52.3 in lessons) throwing consistent strikes, she can place a pitch fairly well, she really only has two fastballs and a change-up. Her ERA is not good, but she’s been mostly subbing for a defensively weak team, lots of dropped 3rds and missed gimme outs at 1. She has pitched and subbed 14C and B. Does this put her in the C or B category for pitching at 11U? Should we be looking to play B level ball next season? I really have no frame of reference, I’m just a bucket mom that has never played any sport. I realize I look at her through mama glasses, but she works hard, wondering where we should be looking to place her for her to grow.
Your dd should probably be pitching on a B level team. But she really needs to get those walks down. 1 per inning is not going to make it. And her elevated K numbers will not be as elevated in higher levels.

But the best answer is she should play at a level where she gets a lot of innings. No sense in being a 4th pitcher on a better team at this point of her career.

May 13, 2023
The hard part in the equation is how accurately are those a b c teams evaluated.

It's just part of trial and error to make this decision and when. Learn from both.

Possibly find an opportunity as a guest player on potentially what might be better developed competition. She can try now and go back to what she was doing if necessary.

Dec 20, 2023
I’d say see how the spring goes and then prepare for fall tryouts at the B level if she seems to do well.

Unless she is extremely fast, I’d avoid turning her into a slapper, especially if she’s viewed as a power hitter. It also would be another aspect of her game that she’d have to devote a lot of lessons and time to. Very difficult if she’s just starting out as a pitcher. I say that as the parent of a pitcher/slapper.

It definitely sounds like she held her own pitching for the 14U B team. If she can do that, she can easily move up to 12U B in the fall.

Correct in fall. We stick with our commitments. Her rostered team is 11C with some young players on it (some just have turned 10). I’m concerned the level of play we will see won’t promote growth. We shall see how we do against older bigger 12C teams since there aren’t a ton of tournaments with 11C teams.

Dec 20, 2023

She is not extremely fast so that’s a good point.

May 27, 2013
Correct in fall. We stick with our commitments. Her rostered team is 11C with some young players on it (some just have turned 10). I’m concerned the level of play we will see won’t promote growth. We shall see how we do against older bigger 12C teams since there aren’t a ton of tournaments with 11C teams.
I believe for a first-year pitcher she will grow regardless if the competition is mediocre or not. She can definitely work on pitch location/accuracy during those games without having to worry about getting crushed a lot if she misses her mark. She can also continue to guest occasionally on better teams when her team has an off-weekend.

I think this will set her up well for tryouts for next season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA