How many Games/Tournaments per season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2019
DD is playing on 2 teams this season. One plays tournament only (5 in Spring 4 in fall) and one plays League/tournaments in Spring (5) and tournaments only in fall- 4/5). She's played like 56 games this season so far and still has 3 tournaments and one league game left. Then a few weeks off before fall ball.

I know this is a ton & I'm watching her very closely to make sure her pitch counts stay low and she gets adequate rest days. I keep her at/around 100 live pitches per day for 2 days followed by a rest day. If she does 3 days, day 3 is less then 2 days rest. She ices on days where she approaches that max.

I guess my questions are a)how does this compare to kids who are playing on highly competitive teams and b)any tips to make sure she stays healthy?

Both teams are borderline C/B level. One 12u and one 14u. DD is 12- will turn 13 in Aug.

Jun 8, 2016
DD is playing on 2 teams this season. One plays tournament only (5 in Spring 4 in fall) and one plays League/tournaments in Spring (5) and tournaments only in fall- 4/5). She's played like 56 games this season so far and still has 3 tournaments and one league game left. Then a few weeks off before fall ball.

I know this is a ton & I'm watching her very closely to make sure her pitch counts stay low and she gets adequate rest days. I keep her at/around 100 live pitches per day for 2 days followed by a rest day. If she does 3 days, day 3 is less then 2 days rest. She ices on days where she approaches that max.

I guess my questions are a)how does this compare to kids who are playing on highly competitive teams and b)any tips to make sure she stays healthy?

Both teams are borderline C/B level. One 12u and one 14u. DD is 12- will turn 13 in Aug.
I would say for 12u and 14u anywhere between 50 and 80 games is a normal spring/summer season. DD’s team is a first year 14u team and they have played 65 games so far and they are currently playing bracket of their last tournament. On average they have probably played 5 innings per game.

We are in OK so school ball is in the Fall so the Fall TB season is typically only 2 or 3 tournaments.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

That looks like well over 100 games per year. That's a lot. MS/HS will eventually force this issue, but you should pick a team. Regardless of level, many of the kids that I knew of that played that much as 12yos weren't playing by the time they were 16-17. It's not just the pitching arm...it's everything, including two sets of practices. That doesn't mean you can't pick up occasionally but, IMO, two full schedules both spring and fall is over-doing it for a player that young.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
100 games a year seems pretty normal at 14U and under when not in HS. 30 games in the fall, 30 spring, 30 summer. That will change when she gets to HS. Showcases will only involve 4-6 games a weekend.

Nov 8, 2019
That looks like well over 100 games per year. That's a lot. MS/HS will eventually force this issue, but you should pick a team. Regardless of level, many of the kids that I knew of that played that much as 12yos weren't playing by the time they were 16-17. It's not just the pitching arm...it's everything, including two sets of practices. That doesn't mean you can't pick up occasionally but, IMO, two full schedules both spring and fall is over-doing it for a player that young.
She loves it! The teams are very different and offer different opportunities for growth. She fits in better personality wise with the 12u kids and gets a chance to be a leader. The 14u team better prepares her for competing in HS by playing up. She is the youngest in her grade, so is going into 8th this year. This season the 14u team has practiced maybe once a week, so having that 2nd set of practices has been beneficial bc it guarantees 1-2 opportunities to fill in the gaps. Next season may have more overlap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee