Pitching Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
I would like to know if there is a way to determine a girls pitching speed without a radar gun?

Video camera, count the frames, apply the frame rate to get the time, convert to velocity. Using higher frame rates result in more accurate readings. If you're throwing at 43' and 30FPS I can save you the calc, 15 frames is just under 60MPH from 43', 14 frames is just over 60MPH. Don't even worry about it until she's throwing it in 15 frames.

Of course if you don't have a video camera, a radar gun is cheaper.

Oct 17, 2009
Who needs a radar. Just add 10+ MPH to the next dad. But always go last or someone might outdo you.

Aug 23, 2010
Buy a RevFire. You should be more focused on Spin Rate then Speed anyway. 70 mph straight down the middle goes 700 feet when hit by a composite bat. I'll take the 62 mph pitch with movement up and down any day of the week, especially on Sundays.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Buy a RevFire. You should be more focused on Spin Rate then Speed anyway. 70 mph straight down the middle goes 700 feet when hit by a composite bat. I'll take the 62 mph pitch with movement up and down any day of the week, especially on Sundays.

Don't underestimate the value of speed and no one is suggesting to throw a fastball down the middle of the plate. The 70 mph fastball can be thrown to the black and used to set-up the other pitches, which is an important consideration.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have noticed that once you move away from international competition, 70 mph is pretty darned effective. So unless you're dead set on being on the national team, accept no substitutes, don't underestimate the value of speed. It's not the be-all and end-all, but it does help.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Softball pitching speed is like the fish that spit the hook right at the boat.
The fish was a world record and everyone has a dd who will throw in the mid 80's
when she turns 13. For the record, my daughter is giving up pitching at 13
as she is only throwing 73 mph. I will post a photo of a fish on Monday,
hope it doesn't get away

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And the Rev Fire is a mere $400.00. I bet I can come within 3 mph, just watching her pitch.

If I am catching her, it goes like this - up to 42 MPH, I am able to catch and chat. 45ish - to 50ish, I have to shut up and catch. 55ish, I am in full gear and yelling. Approaching 60mph, bring a catcher with ya.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA