Pitching Signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
I've done a quick search but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a standard for pitching signs and location signs? Is there a chart that anyone uses for locations? Do you typically call the pitch first and location 2nd?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Depends on age and level of ball as to how intricate you want the signs to be so there's no misunderstanding. My DD is in her 2nd year of 12U, where many catchers do not want the responsibility of calling pitches, so I call pitch selection first and location second. I do try to have the catchers call pitches but it's been a struggle.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
When I coached 14U we had simple signs that were easy to mix up during a tournament. the signs were 2 seperate signals with fingers; the first sign indicated the type of pitch (1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers) then an open hand, then the second half of the signal which indicated location of pitch.

Example was 3 fingers - open hand - 2 fingers (drop ball at location 2 (low and away)).

We would change the # fingers between games so teams wouldn't figure them out too quickly.

May 13, 2008
No there is no standard way to signal pitches. Use what makes sense and is easy enough to understand. You'll need to change from time to time and have a plan for doing so because some teams will steal your signs and signal them to their batters.

Sep 4, 2009
Is there a standard of which numbers coordinate to which location? Does 1 typically mean low and inside or does this vary quite a bit by team?

For location I use....To a right handed batter

1...UP and In
2...Up and Out
3...Down and In
4..Down and Out
Closed Fist.....Down the middle and God help us

The reference to a right hand batter is just to help you picture the spot....Location is the same regardless of which side the batter is on for us

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Or, if you are smart, you will develop your own set of signals that are unique to your team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck