Pitching Rules Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
I know everyone has seen when a pitchers starts her arm circle and looses the ball or throw it into the ground. My question is if a pitchers loose the ball on her back swing and the ball goes toward 2nd base and not toward the batter, what is the ruling on this pitch. I know its a ball on the batter but is that because it is an illegal pitch? If there are base runners at the time that this happens do they move up a base because of an illegal pitch or are they advancing at there own risk?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I know everyone has seen when a pitchers starts her arm circle and looses the ball or throw it into the ground. My question is if a pitchers loose the ball on her back swing and the ball goes toward 2nd base and not toward the batter, what is the ruling on this pitch. I know its a ball on the batter but is that because it is an illegal pitch? If there are base runners at the time that this happens do they move up a base because of an illegal pitch or are they advancing at there own risk?

Ball to the batter (not a dead ball), runners can proceed with the risk of being put out.

UNLESS, you have a local rule stating otherwise. League and tournament directors have the authority to add, omit or change any rule they like in the own league or tourney.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Two weeks ago, at the start of the wind-up as the hands went back, a very inexperienced 8YO pitcher accidently threw both the ball AND glove to 2nd base! I have never seen that before and we all (including the pitcher) had a good laugh.

Oct 22, 2009
Ever have them forget to release and throw them straight up in the air especially when trying to throw the change-up, then catch their own pitch? --who needs catchers!:D

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Ever have them forget to release and throw them straight up in the air especially when trying to throw the change-up, then catch their own pitch? --who needs catchers!:D

No, but I saw a 14-year-old have one slip out of her grip, went straight up in the air, she looked up then quickly down. BONK! Right on top of the head.

Everybody roared, including the pitcher. :D