Pitching Rubbers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Our 9 and 10 yo rec teams will be playing a bunch of their games on the school's jv field which has a pitching rubber set at 40'. It may even be 43' now from the recent changes, not sure, but that doesn't matter for this discussion since we'll be using 35'.

I'm wondering if the portable pitching plates that come with the three screw in spikes are okay to use for a game or are they unstable? If not, are there any other non-permanent options out there? Since it's a school field and not a town field we aren't allowed to dig up the circle to put in a pitching rubber, even if it was a game to game thing. They are extremely sensitive about us doing anything to the field even if we were to "repair" it afterwards.

Tom

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Amy, I found this quote of yours below from the thread you linked:

You know the pitcher's plates that have 3 screw in pegs? I throw those away and drill a hole in each corner of the rubber. Then, I purchase 6 inch nails called, Texas Tacs. I "nail" the rubber to the ground, and that way it is easy to pull up.

Do you think that this is something that we should consider doing or are the 3 screw in spikes sufficient for game use? I don't have the rubber with me but I'm guessing that the screw in spikes are maybe 3" long???

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The Champro isn't bad. Just make certain that it is the softball one.

I use the commercial spikes until someone comes along and tries to pound them in the ground with a hammer. They tear right out that way. Then, after they are broken, I drill the holes and recycle them.

Always use a rubber mallet.

(I have a lot more useless knowledge, like this.) :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves