Pitching Rotation Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2010
I have a 10u Travel team. Saturday we are looking at a 3 gg with possibility of a 4th if things go well. My dilemma is I really don't have a #3 pitcher. The most I can get out of her is a couple innings. My #1 is good for around 12 innings per day. My #2 is not nearly as good as #1 but with a solid defense, we've done ok with her on the mound. What rotation would you go with to try to make it to the 4th game?

Oct 19, 2009
I have a 10u Travel team. Saturday we are looking at a 3 gg with possibility of a 4th if things go well. My dilemma is I really don't have a #3 pitcher. The most I can get out of her is a couple innings. My #1 is good for around 12 innings per day. My #2 is not nearly as good as #1 but with a solid defense, we've done ok with her on the mound. What rotation would you go with to try to make it to the 4th game?

Do you know your competition? If you do you can try your #2 against the weaker team(s), save your Ace for the toughest and maybe work her some relief in the other games but save her for game 4. Put another aspiring pitcher in when either game is lopsided (big lead or deficit).

That's a tough spot. I also coach 10U and have four reliable pitchers of about equal skills. If a pitcher walks two in a row (my general rule of thumb) or throws six straight balls I make a change. My own daughter is one of them and she knows the same rule applies.

I have also learned with this age that unless I"m short handed I put the pitcher coming out on the bench to cool their heels instead of another position in the field. Learned that the hard way when the kid was upset about being pulled and wasn't focusing on center field (she's an awesome outfielder) and blew an easy pop fly that she normally would have caught in her sleep.

My only downside is that I don't have that amazon girl that everyone swears drove herself to the park and throws mid to low 50's. Mine are normal size ten YOs that can hit mid-low 40's but have nasty CUs.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
game 1: #1 pitcher
game 2: #2 pitcher. If #2 gets in trouble and we get blown out, #3 gets to pitch. If #2 gets in trouble at the end of the game (6th inning) and we have a chance to win, I bring #1 back in.
game 3: #1 pitcher
game 4: #2 pitcher again.

You absolutely, must win game 1. I don't know how many times teams lose their first game because they saved their #1 pitcher for game 2.

Oct 19, 2009
Let's back up a minute. What is the format for the tournament? I was assuming 3 pool games where you know who you're going to play ahead of time and if you seeded high enough the fourth was the start of elimination play.

May 4, 2010
Let's back up a minute. What is the format for the tournament? I was assuming 3 pool games where you know who you're going to play ahead of time and if you seeded high enough the fourth was the start of elimination play.

Thanks for all the input so far. It is a one day tournament. 3 pool games and whoever has the top two records will play for the championship. I'd really like to start my #1 in the first game because if I don't, it seems to throw the rest of the team off. And these are the kind of firls who really need to be comfortable the first game. I was then going to go with #2 for the second game. Now I feel like I have to go back to #1 to make sure we can get to the championship. I just worry about #2 in the 4th game. My assistant coaches think I should go 2-1-2-1. I'm thinking 1-2-1-2. I'm actually hoping #1 can relieve #2 at some point. Pitching is our weakness, we do not have enough good pitchers, that being said, my #1 is better than any other pitcher I've seen so far but because she throws so hard, she can't last too many innings in one day.

I really appreciate the input/help. Been coaching 6u & 8u for the last 5 years and was asked to take on this travel team but have little experience at 10u. Wish I had 4 pitchers !!! Heck - I wish I had 3!

Apr 13, 2010
Just some ideas.

1. I've seen number one's go three games in a day. So, you could do the 1-2-1-1 route.
2. If you're blowing someone out in game 1 put the #2 in to save the #1. Same with any of the games.
3. We have unlimited substitutions even of pitchers in our games so you could have #1 go once through the order and then have #2 do the second time through the order. Keeps the batters off balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck