Pitching question:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I scouted a game tonight and saw some questionable umpiring. This is a HS game. The pitcher would drag their foot sideways until it left the rubber in a space a couple of inches on the 1st base side of the rubber. Then, the pitcher would stride out forward off to that side. When the ball was thrown inside, it often looked like it was headed toward the hitter. The umpire asked my opinion and I told him that the pitcher could not take that drive foot to the side beyond the rubber. I also said that the move forward could not be off to the side. If you had the two line drawn that you see in college, the pitcher would never be in that box or rectangle. The umpire would not call an illegal pitch and said that they were unsure of the rule. So, am I correct in my assertion to him?

Jun 22, 2008
What is so hard about the pitcher must start with both feet on or within the width of the pitching plate and the stride foot must land on or within the same width. But, there is no rule saying the pivot foot cannot drag outside that line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
My instinct is to agree with you ... but my brain has taught me to say “what do your rules say?”

With so many different rule sets and so many variances on pitching, I wouldn’t jump to an immediate “illegal”. That said, it would be illegal in everything I have ever worked.

May 20, 2016
That's pretty much how i see any good screwball pitcher throw. I don't know if I've ever seen a lane violation called though.

Jan 27, 2019
Neither foot is allowed to be outside the 24 inch width of the pitcher's plate prior to the pitch and the non-pivot foot is not allowed to land completely outside the 24 inches. The pivot foot may drag outside the 24 inch area.

A slide to either side with the pivot foot is legal AS LONG AS CONTACT IT MAINTAINED with the pitcher's plate.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We faced that pitcher tonight. I opened a conversation with the umpiring crew and illustrated what I believed to be as close to replicating this pitchers actions. Both umpires said that it was an illegal pitch. Then, both stated that they could not call it since the pitcher's lane is not laid out on the diamond. These two are high quality umpires that I greatly respect. Their rational is that one, the base umpire, has a poor angle and the plate umpire has to concentrate on the pitch first. I told them I understand and would not mention it again. Early in the game, both went to the circle and took a look at the landing area and the drive area. The plate umpire, using his foot made drag marks from the edge of the rubber to the circle. That action alone had the pitcher change her actions. Soon after, she was taken out of the game.

Jun 22, 2008
Excuses for not calling a lane violation. And the lines are only used in NCAA and even there are gone after 1-2 innings.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Comp, this girl was pulling her foot to the 1st base side and off of the rubber by a large amount. Also, her landing area was way off to the side. In no way was she legal. I can't think of any association or HS rule book that allows a pitcher to pull their drive foot 6 to 8 inches off of the rubber sideways before she pitches. It is that obvious. IMO, and I didn't ask, the intent of drawing the lines with the foot was to get a sense of just how far out the landing area of that front front foot was outside. Again, when I went to scout, the plate umpire called me over to ask my opinion if she was legal. So, he had reservations as well but did not call it. He and the base umpire also went out to look at the marks but didn't do anything about it.

How do you handle this situation? Do you let it go? This is the perfect example of a pitcher gaining an advantage. BTW, the never called an illegal pitch against this pitcher.

Mar 28, 2014
You handled it properly. Rules are in place for a reason, not just for reading consumption. if a girl is not following the rules, there is no shame in pointing it out to the umpires and having them enforce the rules. Glad that these umpires were willing to enforce rules unlike some of them who more interested in keeping the peace and taking the path of least resistance to the end of the game so they can get their $$ and go home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K