Pitching on carpet?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
What are people's views on pitching on carpet? I went down to my local field today and threw against the net for half an hour, but felt so self concsious doing so that I'd rather do it in my backyard. But renting, I can't rip up my lawn. Would pitching on a piece of carpet be a decent solution?

Dec 19, 2008
The carpet on a lawn would be tough. It's not going to lay flat or be stable, so it could be dangerous. At the very least, it will hinder your mechanics. And, if you get something heavy enough, it's going to damage the lawn anyway. If it's your only choice, go to the field and practice. Don't be self concsious. As a pitcher - you can't worry about what other people think.

Mar 13, 2010
Yeah, my flatmate and I came to the same conclusion. We have a small backyard (because the idiot people made a huge garden, giving us 2m x 4m of grass) and there's really nowhere to stick a net. At least this way I don't have to shell out for a net!

Just need to find an old pillowcase and draw up a strike zone and peg it to the net. (and not throw the ball over)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Yeah, my flatmate and I came to the same conclusion. We have a small backyard (because the idiot people made a huge garden, giving us 2m x 4m of grass) and there's really nowhere to stick a net. At least this way I don't have to shell out for a net!

Just need to find an old pillowcase and draw up a strike zone and peg it to the net. (and not throw the ball over)

We used pieces of used conveyor belt for pitching mats. They are a couple feet wide, quite heavy and a 10 foot piece is heavy enough to only give an inch or so even with a 200 pound pitcher with a strong drive.

Thay NEVER wear out!

Sneaky Softball Pitchin . Com

May 7, 2008
DFW
Rubber saftey Mat

Go down to the local Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a strip of rubber safety mat. I use a 12 ft strip that is 3 foot wide when we cannot pitch outside. Works well. Pitcher wont slip. I even put a pitching plate at the end of it for my students to use throwing into a net. Will run you about $60 bucks. At least that is what it cost me last time I got it.

One drawback it is a bit harder to drag on than dirt and it will wear out over time but that is what duct tape is for isnt it. :)

Good Luck

Dana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g