yet another recruiting thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
DD1's process was......easy? She lost sophomore year more or less because of COVID.......she was looking east coast/high academic where she could play......she found that school (Simmons) and is thrilled with the decision.......but her process was abbreviated, and more about finding the right fit

DD2 is different.....we have gotten started this year (2024/sophomore)......she has a twitter, and NCSA profile.....has been reaching to a lot of coaches, she's gotten some follows on both sites, has started setting up summer tourney views, and is getting camp invites.....

she signed up for her first camp today.....a NE D2 that is rising to D1.....she's a catcher, better measurables than DD1....I expect she'll start getting a lot of D3 contact next week

she's gotten 3 camp invites so far....one a high academic/solid D3 program in VT.....another a solid academic D2 in VT (both of these coaches are coming to see her this summer, she's excited for both)

the D2/rising to D1 program that she got an invite from the head coach today has been following her on twitter, sent her the invite today, she signed up within an hour......

i guess my question is this: how much do we read into the invite......two sessions, limited to 20/session......coach sent her an email with the camp info......her process seems like it is going to be a little more intense than DD1, her upside is greater, her position more desirable, measurables are stronger......how much stock do we place in the camp invites at this stage? how wide a net are these schools casting at this point? I want to temper her excitement with realistic expectations.....and this process, although we've been through it a little, is still new......

Jun 11, 2012
I think i know what D2/riding D1 you are talking about. If so, they have a brand new coach and are kind of in a rebuilding phase right now. The school itself is nice, it’s about 20 minutes from me and I know a ton of kids who go or have gone there.

Mar 8, 2016
As I mentioned on another thread, carefully read the invite. If it looks like chain letter with your dd's name just replacing the previous it is probably a cash grab. If it looks like a personal email addressed to your dd then it is serious.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

May 20, 2015
As I mentioned on another thread, carefully read the invite. If it looks like chain letter with your dd's name just replacing the previous it is probably a cash grab. If it looks like a personal email addressed to your dd then it is serious.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

it was personal, for what it's worth.....i knew enough to look for that at least

May 27, 2013
So what I would recommend is trying to figure out what type of academic fit and goals is she looking for, as they will help to guide her recruiting process. Having options open now is fine, but as she gets deeper into the process she will have some tough decisions to make.

I have a pretty good guess about the high academic VT school you are talking about and the recruiting process for that specific conference will be intense and will require a lot of patience. Reason being, your dd will not be given an “offer” until after the official preread which cannot be done before 7/1 after her junior year. It can be a very nerve-wracking path as she will see friends and teammates verballing while she plays the waiting game. Even after the offer is made admission to the school is not guaranteed. However, academically it is a solid choice and program-wise they have a good team (if it’s who I think).

May 20, 2015
So what I would recommend is trying to figure out what type of academic fit and goals is she looking for, as they will help to guide her recruiting process. Having options open now is fine, but as she gets deeper into the process she will have some tough decisions to make.

I have a pretty good guess about the high academic VT school you are talking about and the recruiting process for that specific conference will be intense and will require a lot of patience. Reason being, your dd will not be given an “offer” until after the official preread which cannot be done before 7/1 after her junior year. It can be a very nerve-wracking path as she will see friends and teammates verballing while she plays the waiting game. Even after the offer is made admission to the school is not guaranteed. However, academically it is a solid choice and program-wise they have a good team (if it’s who I think).
yep, you've got the right read

nice thing is most of her teammates will be in similar boats......only one girl from maine went D1 this year (catcher from her program) and only a handful of D2s......

academically she's on the right track, and her interest in schools right now is pushing her even harder......she's on par with where her sister was at the end of soph year, and she ended up pretty high......so we shall see!

she's leaning psych with a desire to go forensic psych......so that keeps her options pretty open undergrad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles