Pitching Machine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
I think pitching machines are worthless and can even be detrimental. Timing is key, and machines don't allow for proper timing. Besides, what you're doing now seems to be working. I wouldn't mess with success.

That's why you go through the pitching motion with one hand and release the ball into the chute at the same time with the other. Of course a machine like the Hack Attack is great too as it lets you see the ball the whole time. We played a Perfect Game tournament a few weeks ago and my daughter ranked 5th out of around 500 batters. I'd say we're doing something right. A plain 'ole Juggs Jr has been the cornerstone of our batting practice since she was 8.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Aside from live pitching, which is difficult to get, every form of batting practice fails in some major way.

A tee doesn't allow you to hit a moving object, which is what makes softball so hard in the first place.

Front toss entails throwing a ball at 1/3 the speed from 1/3 the distance. Hard to throw movement pitches with that.

I understand the limitations of pitching machines. But how do those limitations make them a total waste of time?

One of the reasons hitting is so hard, IMO, is that it's difficult to practice. The other sport that requires you to hit and direct a moving object forcefully is tennis. Yet it's easy to find hitting partners in tennis in order to practice every shot in the book.

Wish I could find a convenient way to generate live pitching that would be beneficial for pitchers/hitters.

Dec 11, 2010
CB, if you can do that you be able to afford to give away your first million bucks!

Have you formed any opinions about the Hack since using it for awhile?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
CB, if you can do that you be able to afford to give away your first million bucks!

Have you formed any opinions about the Hack since using it for awhile?

Haven't used it for 3 mos. because of HS season, so hope to start her back up again. I think the jury is out on the overall value of using the machine, since we've not yet worked with it consistently. The long summer will tell.

But, for certain, if you're going to invest in a machine, the Hack Jr. is the one. Will be using it for outfield work, as well. Looking forward to school being out.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Haven't used it for 3 mos. because of HS season, so hope to start her back up again. I think the jury is out on the overall value of using the machine, since we've not yet worked with it consistently. The long summer will tell.

But, for certain, if you're going to invest in a machine, the Hack Jr. is the one. Will be using it for outfield work, as well. Looking forward to school being out.

Could you see using this machine for catching practice too? Curious on your thoughts.

Oct 2, 2015
Our FirstPitch 2 wheel pitching machine was $1600. Jugs is ~$2500 or so...
Can pitch a softball ~ 85-90 and a Lite Ball 112 mph...that's fun to stand in front of with the radar gun and watch that thing wiz into the net...

My DDs love the FirstPitch machine. I'd guess I've pitched many 1000's of balls to them with it.
You can see the ball being inserted in to the chute on ours, but it's not a fluid movement.
Which I'm guessing the Hack Attack is...

A small mod to the chute would easily allow you to do that, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...or mowing our lawn...

All in all I'd give the First Pitch a 9 out of 10, but I've never used a Jugs or a Hack Attack.

Oct 2, 2015
Our FirstPitch 2 wheel pitching machine was $1600. Jugs is ~$2500 or so...
Can pitch a softball ~ 85-90 and a Lite Ball 112 mph...that's fun to stand in front of with the radar gun and watch that thing wiz into the net...

My DDs love the FirstPitch machine. I'd guess I've pitched many 1000's of balls to them with it.
You can see the ball being inserted in to the chute on ours, but it's not a fluid movement.
Which I'm guessing the Hack Attack is...

A small mod to the chute would easily allow you to do that, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...or mowing our lawn...

All in all I'd give the First Pitch a 9 out of 10, but I've never used a Jugs or a Hack Attack.

Apr 16, 2013
With any 2 or 3 wheeled machine you can use it for catchers. The big issue with a one wheeled machine is the amount of backspin it puts on the ball. Too unrealistic and spits a lot of dirt in the face of a catcher blocking. You can still use a one wheeled or any machine for just general catching and framing corner pitches though.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Anybody have useful tips on using the atec. 2wheel machine. I've used the hack attack at one of the schools I coached at. It was very good once it was adjusted. Not trying to hi-jack the thread. I have a Atec and want to start using it for hitting and outfield drills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA