Pitching how much is to much where to draw the line?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Does Elizabeth Hightower throw anything but a screwball? I agree that the motion is wonky, but three a game seems very low unless they're talking about much younger girls.

My daughter's rise motion is much more like a curve than a screw motion. Most who throw the screw tend to all off to the first base side after release.
Do you have video of Elizabeth's screwball?

The "traditional" screwball a lot of people teach causes issues. There is one that puts less stress on the arm. My DD was asked Feb 2021 to come out of retirement to be the team's P3. Against my better judgement when they wanted to teach her a screwball I let them and they had her throwing her it in practice a lot more than I thought they were. Wound up messing up the tendons in her shoulder so she is relegated to playing 1B 90pct of the time. They wound up picking up another lefty with a screwball so my DD dropped to the P4. Wound up screwing up the new lefty's arm as well.

The pitching experts I follow recommend the screwball as the 6th pitch to learn, after all the others are mastered. Not sure why they wanted to teach a screwball to a lefty with a beautiful drop, deadly change-up, and was just starting to learn the riseball.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I do, actually. My daughter watched a game from the third row back in February, but the file extension isn't supported on this page.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Best I can do is screenshot it and post a still.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-134812_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220510-134812_Video Player.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 44
Oct 4, 2018
Does Elizabeth Hightower throw anything but a screwball? I agree that the motion is wonky, but three a game seems very low unless they're talking about much younger girls.

My daughter's rise motion is much more like a curve than a screw motion. Most who throw the screw tend to all off to the first base side after release.

I think they fall off to the third base side, right? Or perhaps my daughter throws it backwards. :p

Jan 22, 2011
Best I can do is screenshot it and post a still.
Hard to tell from a screen shot. Going somewhat off topic, as a batter my DD looks to read spins out of the hand and loves hitting pitchers who don't keep the pitching motion as similar as possible until just before pitch is released. Pitchers who throw their screw like that are a dead give away the screwball is coming.

Jul 27, 2015
I know this is going to vary by age and opinions, so lets just say for 10u 12u 14u and up. Where is the limit that you would let a coach pitch your kid, lets just say in a one day tournament, or in a two day tournament. Seen a girl pithing in 10u this weekend that pitched 6 games in a 1 day tournament, I would not have allowed that, but not sure where that line should be or where some of you with DD's that are pitchers draw that line. I would think two games in one day would be as much as anyone should pitch. Not sure how that translates into a two day tournament maybe no more than three games in two day. At some point a parent has to draw the line somewhere.
I was generally okay with one game on Saturday and two on Sundays. I would not allow my daughter to pitch 6 games in a weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00