Pitching drills for inside the house.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2021
My daughter is 9 and active in pitching lessons. May get her first circle time ever Saturday during a pool game. I was wondering if there are any drills she could do inside the house? She has one of those snap tools forget what it is called. I guess her biggest struggle is she either snaps way early or is letting the ball slip out of her hand. Looking for any drill that could be useful if we cant go outside or if she just wants to do something at nightime.

Jul 31, 2021
If her snap is off then its because she doesn't have brush as a cue for when to release. Look at Ricky Pauleys website at the free beginner drills on brush.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Wow. Thank you. Just reading it and watching some videos of her pitching I realize she is leaning over a lot of times. I am very limited on what I tell her for 2 reasons. 1 I dont know much about pitching and 2 I dont want to tell her anything I havent heard her instructor say, not that they havent said it i just dont want to tell her anything wrong. I'm not always at her lessons. But when warming up and she is about half way and standing sideways she slings it in there so pretty the majority of the time. She is standing tall when doing that. When she goes full windup she tends to lean over. I am trying to learn as much as I can about pitching to help her but I won't ever tell her anything I'm not 100% on as to not be telling her something wrong. Hitting/fielding I can help her a lot just trying to get to where i can help her some on pitching.

Apr 17, 2019
<soapbox>
The traditional wrist snap is a fallacy, and it's impossible to time if you're trying to go full speed and just "think" about when to snap without a physical cue. Watch slow mo of good pitchers, you'll see the release motion does not resemble the traditional wrist snap.
Sounds like you've got a hello elbow teacher. Not to be rude, but all successful pitchers learn to pitch in spite of the wrist snap instruction, not as a result of it.
Sounds like you're underway with the research. Here's a playlist I put together to help parents with I/R pitching.
Search this site for I/R in the classroom if you want to really get into the weeds.
</soapbox>

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
<soapbox>
The traditional wrist snap is a fallacy, and it's impossible to time if you're trying to go full speed and just "think" about when to snap without a physical cue. Watch slow mo of good pitchers, you'll see the release motion does not resemble the traditional wrist snap.
Sounds like you've got a hello elbow teacher. Not to be rude, but all successful pitchers learn to pitch in spite of the wrist snap instruction, not as a result of it.
Sounds like you're underway with the research. Here's a playlist I put together to help parents with I/R pitching.
Search this site for I/R in the classroom if you want to really get into the weeds.
</soapbox>
That is a very nice list you have put together.

Jul 31, 2015
Fill the foot of an old sock with rice. Tie the end.
Now, pretend that is a softball.
You can throw it against a wall or closet without doing (much) damage.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I put a tarp in basement, DW was not thrilled when I put one in family room.

The point was to throw it as hard as she could without destroying anything, it was a big tarp.. Just pure speed, not necessarily strikes.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Just let her have fun and don't stress about it! Half the battle is getting her to continue to pitch, it's lonely when you're 9. Everyone says they can pitch until they realize what goes into it physically and mentally. Mentally even at a young age is when you see kids stop.

Video her and let her watch, talk with her PC and go from there. Even at 18 and about to play D1, I think that scared 9 year old little girl of mine is going to show up. End of the day, 10 straight walks or 2 strikeouts let her know how proud you are. I know it's cliché but that is what she wants to hear when she goes through that stress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles