pitching confidence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2009
I get a lot of valuable info from these discussions about mechanics of pitching but the one thing that has been the greatest struggle with my dd is confidence. I almost ruined her by letting her play on a team with poor coaching and alot of daddy ball. At 12u she was told before every outing that she was on a short leash, 1 or 2 walks and she was yanked out and the coaches were completely frustrated with her. She was told she needed to work on control, although some of the WILD pitches rolled between the catchers legs, and we were advised to switch pitching coaches. We switched teams instead, the new coach has assured her that she is his horse and the ball is hers as long as she wants it. The change has been incredible, DD is smiling and winning games as a 1st year 14u. All she needed was a coach that believed in her, it's amazing that sometimes we get so technical that we overlook the obvious.

Sep 9, 2009
BBK I completely agree with you on confidence, not your DD's but a coach confidence with your DD. Our coach last season was the same, applying un-needed pressure on the mound when there is enough already. We didn't switch teams because of this issue but moved up a couple div and the non yelling level headed coach makes a huge difference on my DD's ability to perform is very noticable. Even when not pitching well she comes out of the funk sooner rather then later. A walk doesn't always mean a run but it will if the coach makes her believe that!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It's a much bigger part of a winning pitcher's game than most think.

You want her confidence to go through the roof? Try my book. Marc sells it here on this site.

If you and she do not agree it's the best, Marc will refund your money.

Win-Win situation.

Ball speed, changes of speed, ball movement and pitch location. That is what the vast majority of pitchers and coaches are limited to. There is MUCH more a pitcher can do to control and defeat the hitters they face. This will teach her.

She will also learn how to make the runners come off the bags too soon and get called out. After that, the runners in that game wont even try!

Hal

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
the new coach has assured her that she is his horse and the ball is hers as long as she wants it

You should run from that coach as fast as you can. The reality of sports is that your DD has to learn how to compete for PT. You put her on a team where she doesn't have to fight for PT, and she will be cannon fodder at the next level.

Mar 6, 2009
I think the issue here is how important the ability to communicate is to being a good coach. I personally will have my daughter play for a coach who isn't as technically sound but can communicate, motivate her and her teammates versus a coach who is technically sound or even highly proficient but could not communicate. Knowing your stuff is one thing, but knowing:

How and when to listen.
How to relate to your audience.
Understanding what motivates each player (Some are motivated through recognition, some are motivated through playing time, some are motivated by other things).
How to communicate what you know in a manner that is understandable to each player individually.
You must have the ability to change your system/style depending on the players age/maturity/mental capability.

It is about selling: Your client (student/player/parent) doesn't care how much you know until they know you care. So many coaches think it is about what they know.....

Bill

Sep 9, 2009
Bill very sound information and good advise for parents looking for a team and coach for thier DD.

On another note did you post you DD's piching workout on another sight recently? If it was you, I thought it was a great high level workout for a pitcher. I went back and couldn't find it but if you have it please post it again as I would like to take a few of the drills and incorporate it into our workout, thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12