Pitching – Lot of Work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Dad and 3 brothers all Manage baseball or softball teams. We live all over the country so we do not all get together very often but had an opportunity to do so a couple weeks ago. Youngest one has a DD just starting out and is managing for the 1st time so we talked about things for a while. Not for everyone but talking about the game for hours can be fun.

1 brother has a 10U and 14U TB pitcher, his advice to the new manager.

“Whatever you do, do not let your DD pitch” :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
To be a top level pitcher the FAMILY is going to have to commit to practicing @ 3 times a week, in addition to her regular practices. It should also include a 30 minute pitching lesson from a qualified instructor. It is not for everyone, but can be very rewarding if your daughter is committed to doing it. I would also like to add that the 'pucker factor' goes up exponentially when your DD is pitching!

Jul 26, 2010
If you want to manage or coach, it's best that you either have a kid that does not pitch, wait until your daughters youth softball days are over before you manage/coach, or make arrangements to have your daughter play on a different team from the one you manage/coach.

-W

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
If you want to manage or coach, it's best that you either have a kid that does not pitch, wait until your daughters youth softball days are over before you manage/coach, or make arrangements to have your daughter play on a different team from the one you manage/coach.

-W

Or have no social/family life to speak of ;)

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I don't think it has much to do with social/family life. It is more about the time that should be spent coaching/parenting a pitcher vs. the time it takes to coach an entire team.

If you have a pitcher DD, SHE needs to be your primary concern. There won't be the extra time available to coach a team - at ANY level.

IMHO

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I expect my pitchers to practice outside of practice. we do a little during practice just to see where they are. this year I may try having them pitch BP.

Someone on here once said you are never as close to your DD as you are when you are 60 feet away (or 40' or 43') playing catch.

I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Feb 3, 2011
I don't think it has much to do with social/family life. It is more about the time that should be spent coaching/parenting a pitcher vs. the time it takes to coach an entire team.

If you have a pitcher DD, SHE needs to be your primary concern. There won't be the extra time available to coach a team - at ANY level.

IMHO
I respectfully but strongly disagree with your assertion. It may not work for you, but one of the ways parents can teach their kids about the value of community service is by volunteering as a youth coach.

I think it's important for people to understand that involvement in youth softball is about a lot more than just softball.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I respectfully but strongly disagree with your assertion. It may not work for you, but one of the ways parents can teach their kids about the value of community service is by volunteering as a youth coach.

I think it's important for people to understand that involvement in youth softball is about a lot more than just softball.

You and I are on the same page and I whole heartedly agree that one way parents can teach their kids about the value of community service is to volunteer as a youth coach. BUT!!!!! If you are a pitchers parent, the time commitment as a head coach is so large that it will take away from personal time that should be spent on your DD. In addition to the time commitment, there is also the fact that as a coach you are concerned with the improvement of 12+ kids, not just 1 (the one that really counts when it comes right down to it).

There are other ways to volunteer/be involved in youth sports that are just as important as coaching but doesn't take near the time commitment. For example; Between me and my wife we volunteer for the HS Booster club (treasurer), Town Volunteer Youth Sports Association (treasurer), TB Team Fundraiser organizer, official scorekeeper for both TB team and HS team and a few things that my wife does that I am not even aware of... and I have all the time that DD needs from me for her sports goals.

In DD's second year of LL I volunteered to coach her team along with another dad and I continued for 3 years. At 14U DD decided that she wanted to pitch at the college level so I quit coaching a team and put 100% of my coaching efforts into HER. I am not concerned with the advancement/improvement/recruiting/etc. of any kid but mine at this time. In 2 years when she goes off to college I will take the knowledge I have gained over the years and coach youth sports again.

Jul 26, 2010

In absolute agreement insofar as rec ball is concerned, which I believe is where you and your daughter are currently at with the sport.

For travel ball, I disagree strongly. It just isn't fair to the rest of the team, for reasons mentioned above, nor is it fair to your daughter who now has to pitch to her "coach" constantly all week in "practice" instead of spending time throwing with her dad.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It takes special person to be a pitcher, an even more special person to be an ace pitcher. Not only the hours spent to become an ace, but the pressure of being the "quarterback" of the team. Everyone is depending on you to "get" them there, and win when you do "get" there.

Seems like when DD is pitching and winning games right and left we have more friends around us high 5-ing, shaking hands, pats on the back, telling us great game, way to go, etc. She loses one I can't even find someone to say goodnight to. ( I'm exaggerating, but it does feel like that )

It is hard work, not only to you need a pinch of God given talent, a smudge of luck, a pound of hard work, a dab of desire, but you need a loaf of mental stability because no other position carries the burden of wins and losses like a pitcher. The best pitchers let a loss effect them about 5%, then move on. I've seen some that fold after a few runs, and know they are done for the day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild