Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
I gave DD a choice when deciding on first year 14u teams this year. #3 on a B/A team in a big organization or #1 on a C/B team. She told me that she probably wasn't a legit #1 and wouldn't be pushed to improve in that situation. Insisted she wanted to be a #3 and "earn her innings". Since the decision she is even more driven to out work everyone. Team she chose has 4 pitchers and 4 catchers.

I can understand 4 pitchers, how on earth do they find enough innings for 4 catchers?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For several seasons we have ALWAYS expected to go deep into brackets and knew there was a multi-day/6 game days coming some point in the season.

We carry 3. One is probably a 1/2-3/4 compared to the other 2, but she is capable enough of eating up innings against weaker opponents or if we are killing someone (we have been lucky enough not be have been on the end of a real whipping in a couple of seasons).

The problem with 2 is that the pressure to perform EVERY outing is immense. There is no plan B. You have a rough outing, as a coach you can't burn your 'other pitcher' who you are going to need for the next game so you leave them out to dry too much. Or you end up riding an arm too much.

The problem with 4 is that there is not enough innings if you go out early one weekend or when 2 of the 4 show that they are the superior pitcher. Also normally there are 3 pool games - 1 for each of your pitchers :)

Jun 4, 2019
There seems to be some confusion here - facing hitters is what makes a pitcher better. Sitting in the dugout or playing outfield while another pitcher faces hitters doesn't make you a better pitcher.

You are pushed by the hitters, not another pitcher on your staff.

This really depends on the age of the girl, but if you on a 12U team or over and you are the teams #3 pitcher and you have any desire to be a pitcher in HS or beyond, go to a team that needs a #1 and get innings in. Learn to toughen up and pitch when behind. Learn pitch your way out of innings with just an average defense behind you. That's how you get better, not by bragging about being a back up on an A team that promises a lot, but delivers a little.

May 27, 2013
There seems to be some confusion here - facing hitters is what makes a pitcher better. Sitting in the dugout or playing outfield while another pitcher faces hitters doesn't make you a better pitcher.

You are pushed by the hitters, not another pitcher on your staff.

This really depends on the age of the girl, but if you on a 12U team or over and you are the teams #3 pitcher and you have any desire to be a pitcher in HS or beyond, go to a team that needs a #1 and get innings in. Learn to toughen up and pitch when behind. Learn pitch your way out of innings with just an average defense behind you. That's how you get better, not by bragging about being a back up on an A team that promises a lot, but delivers a little.

While I agree with a lot of this, I also agree that not being the best pitcher on a team helps development because many times that pitcher gets hungry for more innings and will push themselves beyond their comfort zone to achieve that. Now if they are doing that and their coach still never lets them toe the rubber because they are more concerned about winning all the time, then that can be a big wrench thrown into that pitcher’s development.

Apr 28, 2014
Being a number 1 on an awful team does nothing for development. Being #3 on a team with elite pitchers playing in elite tournaments and showcases helps build skills. Showcases are not about winning. What I see too much are kids (parents) who refuse to take that #3 spot for fear that they wont get innings. You many not get better by sitting but you certainly don't get better by facing weak opponents.

May 27, 2013
Being a number 1 on an awful team does nothing for development. Being #3 on a team with elite pitchers playing in elite tournaments and showcases helps build skills. Showcases are not about winning. What I see too much are kids (parents) who refuse to take that #3 spot for fear that they wont get innings. You many not get better by sitting but you certainly don't get better by facing weak opponents.
Totally agree with this, as well.

Apr 1, 2017

There's a lot of middle ground between being on an awful team or an elite one too though. Nobody is making choices between #3 on Beverly Bandits or #1 on Bad News Bears. If I was an pitcher, working to get better, I'd much rather be the #2 on whatever team fits my general level (that will vary for everyone), and getting a lot of innings, than the #3 or #4 on a slightly better team, but getting far fewer innings.

Jun 12, 2015

This depends on where the team is playing. DD was a 1-2 pitcher (about even with their other bracket pitcher) on a team in first year 10U that was not very good. She had to pitch a lot of extra outs due to errors and drop third strikes. She grew a lot that year as a pitcher. The team played all A level tournaments against a lot of really good 2nd year teams. We lost and got our butts handed to us on a regular basis but she got a ton of reps against good hitters. Definitely more than if we'd stayed where we started out, where she would've been a 3-4 pitcher on a better team playing in the same tournaments.

May 27, 2013
I agree with both sides of the discussion. Others bring up great points, as well such as age group and tournament levels that the team competes in. It might not be the best team but if they are constantly playing better competition then the pitcher will get a great experience as the #1 or #2.

If the level is a high level team at 18U that takes younger players (14-16U eligible) to develop them, then I totally get being willing to be the #3 pitcher, especially if she is getting a ton of innings in HS ball like BT’s dd is. Having two other pitchers of such a high caliber who can share their workouts, how they approach pitching to certain batters, etc will be invaluable. I’m also pretty certain his dd will be getting a lot of innings as #3.

The showcase world is a whole different animal with how pitchers are handled and that is why some of us say that our dd’s are on “such and such” type team. It’s not bragging, it’s just trying to relay that information so that parents of younger players or parents whose dd’s play tournament ball realize that carrying 4-5 pitchers isn’t typically the norm for their level of travel ball where being #3 might not be the best option, but it can be just fine for high level showcase experiences.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles