Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
I was just wondering how many pitchers on a team is adequate? I know having pitchers is always good, but is there such thing as too many on a team, seeing as some might not get much game time?
I like 4 as well. Maybe a 5th in waiting if needed due to injury, vacation what have you.

Oct 7, 2015
I like to have 3. Very rarely do we play 5 or more games in a day... Even if we did I think we would be fine with 3. If you have 4 or more you just couldn't get them enough innings.

Jun 8, 2016
Having 3 pitchers you can count on in bracket is the minimum imo. With only 2 if 1 kid is struggling you have to either just keep her in or bring in the girl who is going to pitch the next game that day. That said finding 3 bracket pitchers isn't the easiest thing in the world, in particular at the younger ages.

Jul 29, 2016
3.14 is the correct answer.

IMO 4 is a good number as pitchers usually are decent at secondary positions, at least at a younger age.

Pi pitchers - perfect

Seriously - my daughter's high school team has two pitchers and two that "can" pitch. Since they almost never play more than one game at a time (and run-rule almost everyone after 3 or 4 innings), this usually works. The problem is when they play two, and one of them is leaking oil....

Apr 20, 2017
I think it also depends on the level of the team and quality of the pitchers. Developing pitchers need to be on a team with fewer pitchers to get lots of circle time. Once girls are to the point of needing quality opponents over quantity of innings then you should have more on the team. My DD’s new team has 4 pitchers in 12A. All bring something different to the circle and will be a solid pitching staff.

Sep 29, 2014
I think everyone is pretty spot on. You have an ace getting probably close to half the innings, number 2 getting quarter to a third and the other one and a half fighting for the rest.

Jun 4, 2019
2 decent pitchers is ideal with a 3rd that can just throw strikes against inferior teams to save innings is perfect for me. I dont know why any serious pitcher would accept a role as a #3 pitcher on a team, you need live innings if you want to be a pitcher. Just taking lessons and warming up before games doesn’t make you a pitcher.

If you want to be a pitcher and are currently on a team with 2 good pitchers, I’d find another team. You will never get better unless you get your innings in.

With that being said, there is nothing wrong with being a #3 as a secondary position assuming you have no interest in ever being a serious pitcher. Those girls are valuable to have on a team.

I’ve seen many 10-12U girls that could of been decent pitchers leave to go to “better” teams only to ride the bench or be position players. The parents spend thousands on lessons and there are plenty of competitive teams where they could be a legit #1, but they go to one of the many for profit softball factories and they are never heard from again. I don’t know what some people are thinking.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019
Our current situation (12u A/PGF) has 3 which are considered primary pitchers. Each also has the ability to play defensively almost anywhere when they're not on the mound. Two of the three are our flamethrowers, hot fastballs and a changeup (both working on drop), better than average location on both. Our third pitcher is our surgeon, currently throws about 4-5 mph slower than the other two but has a drop and a curve with considerable movement, and very good control and location. That being said, we also have two other players who have pitched before and could tomorrow but they're not primary. We would only put these two on the mound if it's a blowout game and we're trying to save our primaries.

My DD is one of the primaries, and I/she wouldn't be happy with the mound time if we have 4 true main pitchers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles