Pitchers Rushing The Pitch and Not Allowing It To Fully Develop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2011
I have several pitchers that have a tendency to rush to the finish of a pitch and not allow it to develop properly. By that I mean, just as the arm circle should be transitioning smoothly over the top of the circle and the shoulders opening cleanly, they abruptly close the shoulder and muscle the pitch down the backside of the circle.The results are reduced speed and bad location.

What is a good drill(s) that can help them to allow the arm to continue through the arm circle smoothly and allow for better whip at the end?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This is a common problem, the main issue is that they don't understand or have the 'feel' of what a good IR release is, they are still stuck on the bowling motion. In my opinion this is the first major hurdle for all beginning pitchers, making the transition from pushing/bowling to throwing/armwhipping/IR. The first objective is to get them to 9 o'clock with the elbow leading, shoulders open and the hand almost under the ball. The football drill addresses this. You can also just put them in this position and have them throw the ball, it's a shortened version of the K position drill. You can also have them do a slowed down, 2 part motion. From the start position they come up to the top while opening up, pause at the top with the shoulders open and the stride foot in the air showing the ball to the hitter, place the foot and then come down the backside with the elbow leading to an IR release. It's a feel thing, some girls will get it and others won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd