pitchers back up responsibilities?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2013
what are your pitcher back up responsibilities when the ball is thrown from the outfield and there is a play at 2nd, 3rd, and home?

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
for me play at 3b from OF, pitcher backs up 3B
at home, she backs up home plate.
just my opinion...I am sure other coaches do it diferently

Dec 22, 2012
It depends on where the ball is coming from RF, CF, LF. I like 1st backing up home plate she can break to the plate as soon as there is no play on the hitter. If ball is hit to RF or RC and play is at 3rd i like LF backing up 3rd. Pitcher can back up 2nd from any throw in. You dont want your pitcher running to much and you want her in the circle asap after play. JMO

stv

May 12, 2010
It depends on where the ball is coming from RF, CF, LF. I like 1st backing up home plate she can break to the plate as soon as there is no play on the hitter. If ball is hit to RF or RC and play is at 3rd i like LF backing up 3rd. Pitcher can back up 2nd from any throw in. You dont want your pitcher running to much and you want her in the circle asap after play. JMO

I agree. My DD team has Pitcher backing up home which I dont like. Her previous team had 1st backing up home which I think works much better. And Pitcher can cut off if needed as well as close to the circle.
my 2 cents.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Teaching the pitcher not to back up third and home creates headaches when they get older. Outfielders who have not been taught tend to throw straight to the pitcher and often wild. Pitchers are notoriously bad at fielding wild throws and moving around off the mound because they tend to stand on the rubber. If the pitcher can't run to third we have other problems....

IMO pitchers should also have a "something to remind them of the consequences, ie runner at third or scoring" when they give up big hits, so they don't give up big hits.

It is first's responsibility to cut to home and rove left to right. Some may have third do it on the other side.

In college the other day, the first base cut off chased a runner back to first from the mound. More versatile and knowledgeable about base plays.

LF should be more concerned with backing up throws in the other direction and backing up center on hits and pop ups.
I agree with you.

Pitchers only stand on the rubber if they have never been taught how to play the game. Unfortunately that happens far to often as the pitcher is often times allowed to be a prima donna and is discouraged from actually moving about, as if backing up 3rd might tire her out too much. Well if she is backing up third or home so much she gets tired, maybe she isn't doing a good job at pitching.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
On a ball hit to the outfield our pitcher is going to backup 3B or Home depending on where the throw is going. Also, on a bunt with a runner on base, the pitcher covers 3B if the 3B fields the bunt (prevents the runner on 1B from taking an extra base on the bunt).

ktolsen4

Travel Softball Coach
Mar 22, 2016
If the pitcher is backing up 3rd base on a throw from left field, who do you have cover the pitching circle?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pitching circle means nothing unless the P has the ball.

DD will be playing 16/18U this year, the play will be over when the ball gets into the dirt. No reason for the P to hang out in the circle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06