Pitcher warm ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's current warm up....

1) dynamic stretch and run
2) overhand throw
3) underhand throw and eventually walk throughs (pretty much the only 'drill' she ever does)
4) pitch. She throws 10 - 15 fastballs, then moves to other pitches. All she throws is a change, a rise, and a drop/drop curve. She throws enough of each just to get the feel. This may take 3-5 pitches. It may take 10-12. She rarely throws more than 30 pitches total during her warm up. Once she touches a ball, she can be completely ready in 10 to 15 minutes.

DD has 8 years of experience, and she has been using this routine for the last 3 or 4. Prior to that she did take longer. She has reduced it as she has gained experience.

Oct 21, 2015
Ok have some experience in this.

If she needs to take a long time, like up to half hour prior to game. LET HER BE!!! Its a mental thing. IF she is winning games and SHES comfortable. LET HER BE!! My dd needs long warm ups. It frustrating to wait, but when she doesn't warm up properly or methodically it takes two innings at least before she starts throwing consistently . Just let her be.

That pretty much describes mine . If she doesn't get the time it takes a couple innings .

Apr 28, 2014
When DD was younger and couldn't hit spots she would take a long time to warm up. I think, like mentioned above, she was trying to fix things. Not the time to do that..
Now she will stretch, overhand throw, a few quick drills and onto throwing. The only pitch that she really needs to warm up a bit longer is the flip change and knuckle. They do take a few pitches to get the feel.
One thing we used to do when she was younger and would struggle in the first inning, is we would have her throw a simulated inning in warm ups.
That helps the younger girls.

Aug 21, 2008
If your DD can't get ready in a hurry, then you throw more between innings. I do this when I don't have a pitch working, I will go do extra bullpen to try to get my timing and rhythm for whatever pitch isn't working (sometimes all of them). But every pitcher has to learn to warm up QUICKLY. So it's all well and good do do the jumping jacks and build a sweat pre=game but if you live in cold weather, that wears off in an inning or 2. You don't have time to do all that stuff again. This is NOT major league baseball where you have starters and relievers. You have to be ready to get ready at the drop of a hat. In a game, to warm up... PITCH THE BALL TO THE CATCHER. You don't have time for all the "luxuries".

Bill

Oct 21, 2015
She has started throwing between innings . Especially with the awesome weather we have had this spring.

Nov 29, 2009
If your DD can't get ready in a hurry, then you throw more between innings. I do this when I don't have a pitch working, I will go do extra bullpen to try to get my timing and rhythm for whatever pitch isn't working (sometimes all of them). But every pitcher has to learn to warm up QUICKLY. So it's all well and good do do the jumping jacks and build a sweat pre=game but if you live in cold weather, that wears off in an inning or 2. You don't have time to do all that stuff again. This is NOT major league baseball where you have starters and relievers. You have to be ready to get ready at the drop of a hat. In a game, to warm up... PITCH THE BALL TO THE CATCHER. You don't have time for all the "luxuries".

Bill

One of the things I do with the pitchers I work with. When they show up to a lesson I tell them not to warm up right away. I want them cold. Then I'll explain to them why. I want them having to experience being forced to warm up in a hurry. There are so many times the bus brings the HS team to an away game late for whatever reason. Even in travel ball. I give them a shortened warmup so they can be ready within 10-15 minutes after stepping off of the bus. Each girl is different, but what I don't want them doing is panicking if they have to do it.

As for games. I usually warm a starer and secondary pitcher. I will have the secondary throw 10 pitches every couple of innings to make sure she's loose. Even if the starter is cruising. All my pitchers know this so none of them panic when they see the secondary pitcher go throw a few to stay loose.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Have a specific and consistent routine.
After a full dynamic stretch, run, and overhand throw.
1. Lock it in drill (focus on release point ''brush" and full body resistance)
2. K drills (full body resistance with a smooth whip) Also use this time to work on spins and change ups
3. full circle (full body resistance with a violent whip)
4. walk in
5. jump starts
6. 2 steps
7. progressive tong toss (work out, then back in)
8. mound up. (figure out what pitches she really feels good about today)
Have a game plan on what you'll call based on her warm up and the batters tells. Go get the W

This is very similar to the routine DDP is trying to adhere to. New Team and Coach seem to want to control the warm ups and are trying to change stuff/give other tips to the pitchers during pre-game warm ups. Hasn't been helpful, hopefully she'll figure out that each kid is different and at this age she should, as WarriorMike say's ..."Let 'em be"!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00