Pitcher warm ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Get a batter to stand in the entire time they throw full motion. Helps get the focus level up and hitting spots

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I second this routine:

DD's current warm up....

1) dynamic stretch and run
2) overhand throw
3) underhand throw and eventually walk throughs (pretty much the only 'drill' she ever does)
4) pitch. She throws 10 - 15 fastballs, then moves to other pitches. All she throws is a change, a rise, and a drop/drop curve. She throws enough of each just to get the feel. This may take 3-5 pitches. It may take 10-12. She rarely throws more than 30 pitches total during her warm up. Once she touches a ball, she can be completely ready in 10 to 15 minutes.

DD has 8 years of experience, and she has been using this routine for the last 3 or 4. Prior to that she did take longer. She has reduced it as she has gained experience.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Have a specific and consistent routine.
After a full dynamic stretch, run, and overhand throw.
1. Lock it in drill (focus on release point ''brush" and full body resistance)
2. K drills (full body resistance with a smooth whip) Also use this time to work on spins and change ups
3. full circle (full body resistance with a violent whip)
4. walk in
5. jump starts
6. 2 steps
7. progressive tong toss (work out, then back in)
8. mound up. (figure out what pitches she really feels good about today)
Have a game plan on what you'll call based on her warm up and the batters tells. Go get the W

Quincy commented that this is way too complicated.... My snarly and sarcastic response is "Winners plan ahead, execute their plans, and make adjustments along the way... Losers make excuses" Red is still the sarcasm font...right? LOL
This whole process takes me about 30 min with 3 girls... If it were one on one, it'd only be about 15min.
The second step takes the longest due to the spin work. If she has 4 spins plus a change up... it can take additional time. My pitchers know to show up to games/Tournaments 30-45 min ahead of schedule to allow for a really good warm up, get their minds right, and perfect their spins. We can always continue to iron out some wrinkles between innings.

The jump start is tough to explain without actually demonstrating it but here goes... Stand facing the catcher with both feet together. Bend knees into a loaded position, then jump straight up into the air. While air born open your legs like a pair of scissors. Land in sprinters stance on the balls of your feet, knees bent, chest forward, and the ball hand loaded all the way back, then launch out into the pitch. This activates the legs fast twitch muscles. Do this about 5 times

The 2 step is most referred to as the Texas 2 step. With offset feet on the rubber as if you're about to pitch. Instead of simply shifting body weight to the stride foot, actually jump backwards with the stride leg a couple feet, landing on the balls of the feet in an attacking sprinters position and the pivot foot on the rubber. As you explode backwards, the hands need to go towards the catcher. As the weight shifts back into the front foot, the ball hand will go backwards into a fully loaded backswing (body goes forward as the ball goes backwards) This will create a massive amount of overlapping in the actual drive. This will also activate the fast twitch leg muscles, but really promotes a strong overlap. Overlap will produce a torque between the lower and upper half of the body thus producing a more efficient and faster pitch. Do this about 5 times

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
So tourney starts at 9 and you are playing 3 games or 4 games, you have 3 pitchers.

Do all 3 do the whole routine before the 1st game or before the game you know they are going to start?

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
So tourney starts at 9 and you are playing 3 games or 4 games, you have 3 pitchers.

Do all 3 do the whole routine before the 1st game or before the game you know they are going to start?

This depends on the time between games. If we are playing two games back to back and then we have a break we might warm up pitchers for games one and two and save the girl for game three, but we also need to think about who is the relief pitcher. Often that means that all three girls get fully warm, maybe the game two starter will only get 75% warm.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

My kids are a bit older and are used to my process. All pitchers go through long toss and a basic warmup. Then based on several factors I let them know who is starting the first game, and who is on "fire watch". Those two need to get full game ready, one to start and another to come in on extremely short notice, like immediately. If I have all my players the one on fire watch sits on the bench with a catcher. Their job is to be ready as a pair to go into the game immediately. If I rotate pitchers another comes in and gets ready. And so it goes for the rest of the day. I rarely throw a pitcher for a 3rd look, so they know that unless they are lights out they will not throw the whole game. My 4 pitchers function as unit with each working off the other. They are to the point now that based on the pitcher before them and the game situation they know which pitches I will be calling and where. Rarely if ever do we get out pitched.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
All are warmed up in the morning... this is how we determine who's starting. This way they all get some reps in on pool play. Once bracket starts... we'll go with the ace of the day

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
The best pitching performances start with long toss. It seems to be a constant with the best pitchers.

Could you give some more details on how you have used long toss for pregame warm up? Is it the last thing done before pitching. How many? What distances? I know it may vary from kid to kid, but can you give me a general idea for a decent high school age pitcher to start using in their warm up.

I have used long toss as a practice drill, but I am not comfortable with it. The few pitchers that I have had try it, seem to "muscle up" and not stay loose and whippy as they move back. I did not have them stay with it, as I did not like what I was seeing and was not competent enough to give them better instruction.

There was a pitcher around here a few years ago that now plays in college, that would work her way back to 2nd base and then back to the rubber...it was impressive, and she was dominant throwing 60+ mph.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My kids are a bit older and are used to my process. All pitchers go through long toss and a basic warmup. Then based on several factors I let them know who is starting the first game, and who is on "fire watch". Those two need to get full game ready, one to start and another to come in on extremely short notice, like immediately. If I have all my players the one on fire watch sits on the bench with a catcher. Their job is to be ready as a pair to go into the game immediately. If I rotate pitchers another comes in and gets ready. And so it goes for the rest of the day. I rarely throw a pitcher for a 3rd look, so they know that unless they are lights out they will not throw the whole game. My 4 pitchers function as unit with each working off the other. They are to the point now that based on the pitcher before them and the game situation they know which pitches I will be calling and where. Rarely if ever do we get out pitched.

Our process is very similar to [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION]. Our team also have four pitchers, and we always make sure that 2 are ready for every game. Each of our pitchers have their own routines, and we don't mess with that. I tell them in advance what our "plan" is going to be regarding pitching for the day, but they also realize that sometimes plans do change.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad