Pitcher touching her face?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
Playing 12U U trip. Pitcher off the rubber, adjusts her mask with throwing hand, steps on the rubber and pitches. Ump calls illegal pitch. No explination from ump and coach doesn't question due to final minute of drop dead time. Pitcher not knowing, adjusts mask again. Illegal pitch called after the pitch and time runs out. Umpire says anytime pitcher goes anywhere near her face with her throwing hand, she has to wipe off her hand before touching the ball. Is that the rule?

Mar 1, 2013
The rule indicates that a pitcher who licks her fingers must wipe them off first before putting them in contact with the ball (ASA anyway). I imagine the umpire felt or thought she was licking her fingers.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Playing 12U U trip. Pitcher off the rubber, adjusts her mask with throwing hand, steps on the rubber and pitches. Ump calls illegal pitch. No explination from ump and coach doesn't question due to final minute of drop dead time. Pitcher not knowing, adjusts mask again. Illegal pitch called after the pitch and time runs out. Umpire says anytime pitcher goes anywhere near her face with her throwing hand, she has to wipe off her hand before touching the ball. Is that the rule?

Is a rule? - Not exactly.
Is it going to be problematic from time to time with certain umpires? - Absolutely.

Pitchers need to learn to play this silly little game. Just get her in the habit of wiping every time. It is a lot easier than pleading your case with the umpire.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
U-trip rules proibit a pitcher from applying moisture to the ball. But they don't have anything in their rule book about a pitcher licking her fingers, wiping them off, or anything about "bringing her hand close to her face".

Sounds like the umpire made one up...

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I'm gonna claim ignorance here....I've never understood the benefit of a spit ball or "slicking up" your fingers with Vaseline or sweat...how does this moisture manipulate the pitch? You see some MLB pitchers trying to slick up (Gaylord Perry) and others trying to sticky up (Pineda). I can see wanting more grip....but I don't see what a pitcher can do with less grip from a spit ball. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks, TJ.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'm gonna claim ignorance here....I've never understood the benefit of a spit ball or "slicking up" your fingers with Vaseline or sweat...how does this moisture manipulate the pitch? You see some MLB pitchers trying to slick up (Gaylord Perry) and others trying to sticky up (Pineda). I can see wanting more grip....but I don't see what a pitcher can do with less grip from a spit ball. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks, TJ.

They don't grip the vaseline or spit, They align the way they grip based on which side of the ball is doctored and which way they want it to go. The substance changes the aerodynamics of the ball, and probably changes slightly the center of gravity of the ball, which causes it to break differently/better. The pine tar could do both of these things, but more likely they are just looking for better grip. Scuffing or cutting a ball also changes the aerodynamics.

Oct 24, 2010
They don't grip the vaseline or spit, They align the way they grip based on which side of the ball is doctored and which way they want it to go. The substance changes the aerodynamics of the ball, and probably changes slightly the center of gravity of the ball, which causes it to break differently/better. The pine tar could do both of these things, but more likely they are just looking for better grip. Scuffing or cutting a ball also changes the aerodynamics.

Changes the drag coefficient in that region of the ball. If you can cause a change between laminar and turbulent flow, the effect can be large.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi