Pitcher throwing to first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
You need to change your rules for next season to allow stealing in 10u. The compromise for a young, inexperienced league would be to keep home plate closed, meaning that runners may steal 2nd or 3rd, but cannot steal home.

It isn't just for the benefit of the runners. Allowing stealing also helps to develop your catchers in 10u.

Jun 24, 2013
Going back to 8U, the local rule was runners were allowed to steal 1 base per pitch and no stealing of home.

What wasn’t clearly defined in the local rule was that the runners could not advance on bad throws from the catcher but it was understood, you want the catchers to be trying to making the throws.

For the OP question, I would think the defense can throw and make an out anywhere they want. The question in my mind is what happens when the P (or catcherr) throws the ball into RF, is the runner allowed to advance to 2nd. I would guess so but you need to ask.

Edit: With your local rules I would bet it is understood that on a bad throw from the c to p the runner cannot advance even though that is an error not a steal.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2010
What if the runner does steal?

Whenever I hear about a local no stealing rule, I ask so what if a player does steal? What is the penalty? That never seems to get specified.

Does she get sent back? If so then a team can play hit and run or suicide squeeze on every pitch. If the ball isn't hit or goes foul the runner just goes back to the base she started on.

If she's out, then when is she out? When she touches the next base? Half way? Can she run back to the base she came from? Does the defense have to put her out?

Just crazy thoughts I have when I'm contemplating local rules. :cool:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Going back to 8U, the local rule was runners were allowed to steal 1 base per pitch and no stealing of home.

What wasn’t clearly defined in the local rule was that the runners could not advance on bad throws from the catcher but it was understood, you want the catchers to be trying to making the throws.

This follows ASA rules for 8U. One base per pitch means that an overthrow is not penalized by advancing the runner. IMO, this is a good step towards getting ready for 10U which includes stealing home and running on a dropped third strike.

Jun 11, 2013
Agree with the others that you should seriously allow stealing. We had the situation a year ago in rec when we added the dropped 3rd strike rule. It forced us all to develop better catchers which most teams did. Either way, great job trying to start a new league. It's a great game and any time we can get more kids playing it's a bonus.

Jun 24, 2013
I concur to with the limited stealing at 10U, closing home base to stealing. It teaches the girls to be prepared for stealing without penalizing them too much. If your girls go into 12U never having stolen a base, they will find themselves behind the 8-ball in a big way. I feel the same about DTS. Once you implement DTS, the catcher is not just back there to block the ball.

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
Whenever I hear about a local no stealing rule, I ask so what if a player does steal? What is the penalty? That never seems to get specified.

Does she get sent back? If so then a team can play hit and run or suicide squeeze on every pitch. If the ball isn't hit or goes foul the runner just goes back to the base she started on.

If she's out, then when is she out? When she touches the next base? Half way? Can she run back to the base she came from? Does the defense have to put her out?

Just crazy thoughts I have when I'm contemplating local rules. :cool:

Agreed. I shake my head when I read most league rules supplements. They sometimes allow more silliness than they prevent. Writing rules isn't as easy as it may seem.

May 17, 2012
The answer to the original question is yes. I saw a 12u team do this last night (ASA). The runner on 2nd was lazy walking back to the bag after the pitch. The pitcher snapped a quick throw to second and got the runner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs