Pitcher Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
When the game began. Where was your DD playing?

My question exactly.

I don't think parents should stress over the decision-making in these early-season tournaments. Sure, you want your kids to win, but winning coaches are more focused on building towards end-of-season goals or towards winning the bigger, more meaningful tournaments. That means trying some things in April that they might not try in July.

With our #1 starter cruising and having allowed only 1 run, I pulled her so that my DD could pitch. She gave up 3 runs. We lost by 1.

I got the chance to see both our pitchers in action, but more importantly, I figured out some important things about our batting order that should allow us to put more runs on the board the next time we play.

We are not going to lose every game this season, but while we want and expect to win a lot, our main goal is performing well and advancing in the end-of-season tournament.

Oct 31, 2010
My DD is an outfielder, and I would literally have a stroke if they put her on the mound. She is learning to pitch but no where near game ready if that is what ya'll are trying to get at. My concern is putting in cold pitchers to pitch, I felt that it puts the girls at risk for injury. I wanted others input on this b/c even way back when my sister & I played they didn't put in cold pitchers.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It's a learning curve for coaches as well, those that don't have much tournament experience tend to do that more. Coaching a P&R team is different where you play 1 game a night and are not used to multi-games in a day. What I do is warm up the starting and relief pitcher before the game. The relief is to keep warm between innings while we are batting. If the schedule calls for back to back games, I also have the next starting pitcher start warming up about the 3rd/4th inning as well getting ready for the next game, and have that relief pitcher start throwing with the starter.

Oct 31, 2010
It's a learning curve for coaches as well, those that don't have much tournament experience tend to do that more. Coaching a P&R team is different where you play 1 game a night and are not used to multi-games in a day. What I do is warm up the starting and relief pitcher before the game. The relief is to keep warm between innings while we are batting. If the schedule calls for back to back games, I also have the next starting pitcher start warming up about the 3rd/4th inning as well getting ready for the next game, and have that relief pitcher start throwing with the starter.

This is what I felt should be going on. So...I'm thinking I will just do like Amy said and offer to warm up the relief while they are batting. We can't afford to have an injured pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1