Pitcher Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2010
I am curious to hear coach's input on what you do with your pitchers on tournament day. We have 12 girls (10U), 3 of them are pitchers who are pretty close in ability. Would any of you put all 3 of your pitchers in the field at various positions on the 3rd game of the day which is the 1st elimination game? Am I crazy for thinking this is crazy? Pitcher starts struggling they pull in a cold pitcher from right field and expect her to be warm after the 5 or 6 warm up pitches she gets. This is a 1st year TB team (coaches & girls).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. They all warm up prior to the game and if one is going to go in, she throws a little, between her at bats. After she goes in to pitch, she can continue to warm up while her team bats, if needed and if she's not up to bat, of course.

Oct 31, 2010
None of them throw between at bats. Also, I believe they only warmed up the starting pitcher before the game.

I would understand them being in the field if they did what you are saying Amy.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is a common problem and it is just because the coach doesn't know. I always ask "my girls" at the lessons, "Did you warm up?" and they say no.

Most coaches are oblivious to the problem. In baseball, the boys are already (somewhat) warm from throwing overhand. You might politely ask the coach if he/she needs help with someone catching the girls, so they can warm up, mid game.

If it is your DD that is throwing cold, you need to explain to the coach in a polite phone call, that she must take 20 minutes (or what ever) to warm up.

10-1, he isn't helping her with pitch location and change ups, either.

Oct 31, 2010
It's not my DD that's pitching or I probably would have said something or posted this question before now. We have a pitching coach for the girls but she can't be at the games b/c her real job. How do you explain something like this to the coach without being "that parent" when it's not my daughter involved? Should I just keep my mouth shut and go offer to catch when the girls come in to bat? Thanks for your suggestions Amy :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Would any of you put all 3 of your pitchers in the field at various positions on the 3rd game of the day which is the 1st elimination game?

My guess is that the three pitchers are three of the best players on the team, so the coach wanted to get his best team on the field. It is always a challenge at the younger ages because your best pitchers are often your best players.

If it were me, the pitcher who was going to start the second game would be on the bench, and then she would have entered the game if the first pitcher was struggling.

Jul 28, 2008
I make sure all my pitchers are warmed up before each game. We are allowed to bat the roster, so if I see a change is going to happen, I'll pull her from the field and have her throw a bit more to make sure she's warmed up.

Nov 29, 2009
What I do is warm up two girls. My starter and my reliever for the game. I try to keep the reliever off of the field if possible. However, it usually don't work that way. What I'll do if I can is to pull the reliever off of the field and try to get them a few minutes of throwing to loosen up. Then make the change.

But for sure, I ALWAYS warm up two pitchers prior to each game. The part where is becomes tricky is when you're playing back to back to back in the losers bracket. Sometimes you have just enough time to get your gear in the dugout and the umpire there calling for the line-up card and the coach at home. I've had to tell more than one ump to give me two minutes. We just finished playing a game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am curious to hear coach's input on what you do with your pitchers on tournament day. We have 12 girls (10U), 3 of them are pitchers who are pretty close in ability. Would any of you put all 3 of your pitchers in the field at various positions on the 3rd game of the day which is the 1st elimination game? Am I crazy for thinking this is crazy? Pitcher starts struggling they pull in a cold pitcher from right field and expect her to be warm after the 5 or 6 warm up pitches she gets. This is a 1st year TB team (coaches & girls).
When the game began. Where was your DD playing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish