Pitcher Pulled After Walking 1 And Hitting The Next

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2013
I would like everyone's opinion on this.
Here is some data on how my DDs afternoon on the rubber went.
1st - 2 strikeouts
2nd - 2 strikeouts
3rd - 3 strikeouts
4th - 2 strikeout

After the 2nd strikeout in the 4th DD walks the next batter then hits the batter after her.Head coach calls time and after asking the assistant coach if she should take her out and assistant coach says yes.

This was the 1st game in 9 games that my DD got to pitch.This team plays the 2nd year players every game and so far this year 2 of the 2nd year pitchers have struggled worse and have walked 3,4,and 5 consecutive batters and have not been taken out of the game.

Just wanted to add that I had the coach and parents from the other team come up to my daughter and I and say that she was lights out.A couple of parents I talked to were puzzled as to why they pulled her.

Do you guys believe it was fair of them to take her out? I was thinking at that point stop the game,have a chat to settle her down and let her continue.

When they pulled my DD we were ahead 3-0

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I may have done the same thing. How old is she and how much experience does she have in the circle? No doubt she was very effective and had a great outing. If the game was in hand it might make sense to pull her and not let things go south and tarnish what she had already accomplished. Conversely it may have been good for her to stay in and work through it. Without much more information it is impossible to question their judgement. It may be best to just celebrate this success and prepare for the next outing.

May 18, 2009
I don't think our coaches would pull her. They like the girls to work through their struggles if possible.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Do you guys believe it was fair of them to take her out?

I strongly believe this is a bad question. When it comes to tactics, when, where and why players play FAIRNESS is not part of the equation. This perspective gives parents and coaches ulcers.

All coaches want to win. They will play the players they feel give them the best opportunity over the course of a game, series or tournament. It is your responsibility to help your daughter to prepare for any circumstance she might face. Don't worry about her confidence. Allow her to deal with adversity and improve. The adversity may be pitching through or getting pulled.

It would be unfair only if the league or team stated ahead of time that there would be equal play or that a pitcher would not be removed untill the completion of an inning of something like that.

Don't sweat it. If she is effective it will not be common for her to be removed.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Sounds like your coaches got nervous with the winning run coming up to bat.

Having said that parents are way to sensitive as to why pitchers get pulled. Parents have seen way to many baseball games. In fastpitch you can re-enter your pitcher.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I strongly believe this is a bad question. When it comes to tactics, when, where and why players play FAIRNESS is not part of the equation. This perspective gives parents and coaches ulcers.

All coaches want to win. They will play the players they feel give them the best opportunity over the course of a game, series or tournament. It is your responsibility to help your daughter to prepare for any circumstance she might face. Don't worry about her confidence. Allow her to deal with adversity and improve. The adversity may be pitching through or getting pulled.

It would be unfair only if the league or team stated ahead of time that there would be equal play or that a pitcher would not be removed untill the completion of an inning of something like that.

Don't sweat it. If she is effective it will not be common for her to be removed.

I think you have mixed fairness with equality which are two totally different animals. Depending on the situation it may very well have been an issue of fairness. But to your point it was a very poor question since it lacks information to put it into context. Kind of like asking - Would you kill?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think you have mixed fairness with equality which are two totally different animals. Depending on the situation it may very well have been an issue of fairness. But to your point it was a very poor question since it lacks information to put it into context. Kind of like asking - Would you kill?

I meant equality and fairness in this respect. Fairness means making judgments that are free from discrimination or bias. When a parent thinks their child was treated unfairly it presumes some type of bias against their child that isn't applied to others.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is really hard to say. How old is she? I could tell at the exact moment that my DD needed pulled. So, yes, I might have pulled her.

It depends on how hot it is, who else I have to put in, and how many pitches she has thrown.

I saw one of my 11 yo students that really needed pulled the other night. She was up over 110 pitches in 103 degree heat. I think you may come to like it better, when she is taken out. Because the other choice is to get overworked and exhausted.

Feb 7, 2013
I think your real question is "why did they pull her?" The best way to answer that question is for your DD to calmly ask them why. Maybe the coaches felt she was getting tired and wanted to bring in a fresh pitcher? The bottom line is you will go crazy trying to figure out why coaches do what they do. Your daughter pitched a great game, celebrate that fact. If she continues to pitch that way, she will get more playing time in the circle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24