Pitcher Parent Psychosis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2016
I am definitely that dad. I have called pitches from the stands when the coach wasn't. I did this for the first 2 tournaments in all stars. We took second in the first tourney and won the second. Third tounament I didn't call a pitch. Dd asked after the first game if I was going to help her. I told her she knows how to pitch and if the coach doesn't call the pitch she should decide one her own. She had a great tourney, we won again and now I know it isn't me that wins it it is her and her teammates that win them. This year she has decided to play travel and I hope I don't go back to my old ways.

Jun 9, 2009
The worst I've seen was making it around to 3rd but I'm sure I just need more time. Talk about painful!

Two years ago the Montana State AA High School Championship game was won on a dropped third strike/overthrow where the girl came all the way around and scored.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...me-results-in-wild-walkoff-win-171209580.html

My DD was a pretty good pitcher on a pretty bad LL team a few years ago. The first inning of the first game she struck out the first three batters and all three third strikes were dropped (first was always unoccupied because the were stealing on us). Not the way you want to start the season. The catcher is now DD's best friend and has developed into a pretty solid catcher.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Ever seen/heard a pitcher parent and a catcher parent exchange words? :eek:

Want some entertainment at your next tournament...ask the team's book keeper what's the difference between a passed ball and a wild pitch where both a pitcher's and catcher's parent can hear you.

Jun 12, 2015
Want some entertainment at your next tournament...ask the team's book keeper what's the difference between a passed ball and a wild pitch where both a pitcher's and catcher's parent can hear you.

On our team, 2 dads alternate keeping the official book. One is a pitcher's dad. The other is a catcher's dad. I keep score in iScore and mine is a pitcher. We should all get together and have this discussion. ;)

May 30, 2014
Oregon
Once had an inning in 10u where my DD struck out all 7 batters she faced. Catcher dropped 4 third strikes. I was AC with the catchers mother. I was at the other end of the dugout biting my tongue while she was reassuring her DD with "it's OK punkin, just catch the next one". Does she not realize that it isn't easy to just keep striking out batters!!! Or having to throw 2 innings worth of pitches just to get out of one inning will tire her out!!

The crazy almost came out in that game. If she dropped one more strike 3 I would have come unglued. I think a did a reasonable job keeping it in check though.

Certainly padded the Ks in her stat line that game.

Now she's got a couple great catchers and she appreciates then immensely. Dropped thirds are rare. Last one that a batter reached first the C gunned her down by 2 steps attempting to steal second. She told DD it was a makeup play. :eek:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
I feel your pain there, OregonDuck, though we've never had FOUR in one game. I think I would lose it. This weekend my DD was pitching and the batter hit a dribbler to pitcher. Runner on 2nd. My DD scoops the ball, turns to make the throw to first, and 1B isn't covered. So she turns to fire it over to 3B to get the runner instead. NOBODY COVERING. She usually is very cool in the circle, and she did stay cool, but I could feel her frustration. All she could do was hold the ball and keep them from advancing.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Where to begin... I was that crazy dad calling pitches from the stands and critiquing every little movement from the launch to the finish. Had to let it all go or get blood pressure meds. Now only words are words of encouragement. No coaching from the stands. DD seems to do better with it..

As far as crazy parents. In rec, 1st yr 12u, opp team AC was primary pitchers mom. She was very crazy. By the end of the game she had taken her cell phone, her x-box, her television... I'm still not sure what she wanted her DD to do but she was not doing something.

Jun 12, 2015
As far as crazy parents. In rec, 1st yr 12u, opp team AC was primary pitchers mom. She was very crazy. By the end of the game she had taken her cell phone, her x-box, her television... I'm still not sure what she wanted her DD to do but she was not doing something.

Wow, way to make it fun, mom. I just can't even with the yelling and punishing over a game. That kid will quit by age 15, I'm sure.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I have witnessed yelling and the taking of a cell phone exchange after a game where the pitcher did a find job just other team's bats were smoking hot. Parent said you get in the car and give me your cell phone NOW! Pitcher crying..... To me that parent made those stupid moms on that realty dance show look sweet as pie.

Where to begin... I was that crazy dad calling pitches from the stands and critiquing every little movement from the launch to the finish. Had to let it all go or get blood pressure meds. Now only words are words of encouragement. No coaching from the stands. DD seems to do better with it..

Aug 6, 2013
Once had an inning in 10u where my DD struck out all 7 batters she faced. Catcher dropped 4 third strikes. I was AC with the catchers mother. I was at the other end of the dugout biting my tongue while she was reassuring her DD with "it's OK punkin, just catch the next one". Does she not realize that it isn't easy to just keep striking out batters!!! Or having to throw 2 innings worth of pitches just to get out of one inning will tire her out!!

The crazy almost came out in that game. If she dropped one more strike 3 I would have come unglued. I think a did a reasonable job keeping it in check though.

Certainly padded the Ks in her stat line that game.

Now she's got a couple great catchers and she appreciates then immensely. Dropped thirds are rare. Last one that a batter reached first the C gunned her down by 2 steps attempting to steal second. She told DD it was a makeup play. :eek:

My DD had a game in 10U where she gave up 3 hits no walks and struck out 14.... I think we lost 10 Zip...
Between dropped third strikes and over throws But by then we were used to it - Our goal as a team was to just not get 10 runned.
I love the strikeout that endsup as a home run - I think I have the old score books somewhere, I need to go back and see how many of those she had that year - Unfortunitly her strike out pitch was the drop so it was always an adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1