Pitcher Parent Psychosis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Typical pitcher's parent ^^^. They think it's all about their kid.

Sincerely,

- A Catcher's Dad

;)

Situation...

1 out. Bases loaded on an E6, E5, and a bunt. Batter hits a ground ball to F5, who throws to F2 for the force at home - easy out. Thinking she still has a chance to get the batter at 1B (she didn't), F2 fires the ball to F3, except that it's wide, and goes deep into RF. 3 runs score. F2 replaced in the next inning. Final score: 4-1 loss.

That was yesterday. It was rough to watch.

I feel for you.

DD 1 was a talented player, but didn't want the spotlight. Normally played 3B or OF. She couldn't take the pressure of P, C or 1B.

I remember once she was playing on a rec team, and they were up against a TB team. Her team actually took the lead due to a 7 run inning started by DD1's amazing base running, starting with her getting to second on what should've been a ground out. No errors, she beat out the throw, noticed the 2B wasn't on the bag, and took second. Then a great throw by C to 3B, followed by a great tab by DD 1 on 3B, held the lead. Finally, last inning, DD 1 is over playing 2B. Ball hit to her, the sort of ball she would get easily when playing 3B. She blew it, and the win turned into a 9-9 tie. SOOOOO close to having DD 1 be the star of that game offensively AND defensively, it hurt to see her blow her own victory.

So, any player can save or blow the game. The P and C just have more chances.

I think I speak for every halfway sane pitcher's dad when I say a good catcher is worth her weight in gold.

Jun 12, 2015
I see pitching and catching as a team thing, and equally important. If you don't think catcher is important you only have to watch a game where the catcher is letting balls pass repeatedly and you end up down like 7 runs all from stolen bases on passed balls (on the flip side of that, perhaps 7 girls got on base in the first place because the pitcher is having a bad day). Or, watch a really good play with a tag out at home. I never really had an appreciation for catching until mine started pitching. It's painful to watch your kid strike a girl out then have her end up on 1B on a dropped third because the catcher wasn't on her toes. And as much as that hurts, it's awesome on the flip side to see them working together and having a really good game.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see pitching and catching as a team thing, and equally important. If you don't think catcher is important you only have to watch a game where the catcher is letting balls pass repeatedly and you end up down like 7 runs all from stolen bases on passed balls (on the flip side of that, perhaps 7 girls got on base in the first place because the pitcher is having a bad day). Or, watch a really good play with a tag out at home. I never really had an appreciation for catching until mine started pitching. It's painful to watch your kid strike a girl out then have her end up on 1B on a dropped third because the catcher wasn't on her toes. And as much as that hurts, it's awesome on the flip side to see them working together and having a really good game.

Here's my favorite...

D3K. Catcher throws the ball into RF. Girl who just struck out rounds the bases and scores.

Jun 12, 2015
Here's my favorite...

D3K. Catcher throws the ball into RF. Girl who just struck out rounds the bases and scores.

The worst I've seen was making it around to 3rd but I'm sure I just need more time. Talk about painful!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The worst I've seen was making it around to 3rd but I'm sure I just need more time. Talk about painful!

It helps when the right fielder falls down trying to retrieve the ball...or kicks it away...or throws it nowhere near another fielder. ;)

I wish I could say those kinds of mistakes are all behind us now that we are in TB (see my previous post about yesterday's game).

Apr 26, 2015
We definitely have seen our fair share of crazy pitcher parents - and my dd is only 1st year 12U.
Last year we had a pitcher who was a sweet girl. But her dad was out.of.control. He would tell her which pitch to throw - regardless of which pitch the coach called. He would yell at her between every.single.pitch. Whether it was good or bad - it could always be better. Poor girl was 9 and had been on 5 teams in 2 years. She has the talent to be a great pitcher but her dad will quite possibly ruin it for her. He would curse and yell and scream and throw things. He has an arrest record as long as my arm. This year they had to look for a team 3 hours away because his reputation had ruined her chances with any local teams.

This year we have a pitcher who's mom told me a couple weekends ago that her daughter is "the quarterback of this team and can't be replaced". Um, no - she is not a lights out pitcher. She is decent, but certainly not lights out. Every time her daughter has a bad game it is the catchers fault. The parents will humiliate and talk smack about the catchers right behind the fence. The pitcher has never once been to practice but her parents expect her to start every tournament. The girl is mean to the other players and screams at them when they make a mistake. It is very unfortunate. The parents also don't believe that team rules apply to them. They go in the dugout all the time or call their daughter out to chat. Unfortunately the coach complains about it, but does nothing to stop it.

So over it...

Jun 12, 2015
Wow!! If I were a coach I don't think even a truly awesome pitcher would be worth dealing with all that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1