Pitcher Height

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
One thing to keep in mind is that some of the pros you mentioned that are average height are currently in their late 20's or early 30's (e.g. Lisa Fernandez graduated college 1995) and probably did not face the level of competition our top DD's will. IMO, if softball continues to grow in popularilty, the new generation of athletes are going to be bigger, stronger, faster, and taller than when Lisa was learining how to pitch in the mid 80's, early 90's. With that said, genetics is only part of the equation, with hard work, practice, and passion for the game just as important.

Should we expect testing at tournaments for steroids??? I knew it would come to this! ;)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Should we expect testing at tournaments for steroids??? I knew it would come to this! ;)

Hal - funny you mentioned steroids, I posted a thread about 6 months ago asking a similar question about performance enhancing drugs and whether we have seen it in fastpitch softball yet. I believe it is only a matter of time (if not already going on) that some girls will try to get a competitive advantage using drugs.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal - funny you mentioned steroids, I posted a thread about 6 months ago asking a similar question about performance enhancing drugs and whether we have seen it in fastpitch softball yet. I believe it is only a matter of time (if not already going on) that some girls will try to get a competitive advantage using drugs.

I can only hope and pray that the young ladies in this sport are a lot smarter than some of the men in MLB.

Jan 20, 2010
As a Dad of a short pitcher, I had to jump in. Cat. is one of the best pitchers of our time. And how tall is she? Over 6'. How hard does she throw? Between 63 and 65 with lots of movement and control. Any serious 5'4", 5'5" pitcher with a good work ethnic can reach that speed, learn how to move the ball and be successful. cat. has the height that most say you need, but choses to use control to be successful. Just my thought.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Not to worry

I will echo the thoughts of others here. I have seen a pitcher 5'1 throw over 60 MPH. While some would think thats not possible I would state that they are wrong with that thought process. If the pitchers mechanics are sound, she can spin the ball, and she is willing to do the work to get to her goals. Anything becomes possible for a short pitcher.

It is the prejudice of the coach that thinks all pitchers have to be tall that will close the doors of opportunity at the particular school. Only because she does not meet that coaches template of a pitcher. Regardless of her talent.

Sad but often the reality of the sport.

Dana.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
As a Dad of a short pitcher, I had to jump in. Cat. is one of the best pitchers of our time. And how tall is she? Over 6'. How hard does she throw? Between 63 and 65 with lots of movement and control. Any serious 5'4", 5'5" pitcher with a good work ethnic can reach that speed, learn how to move the ball and be successful. cat. has the height that most say you need, but choses to use control to be successful. Just my thought.

I guess the question is if Cat was 5'4" would she be as effective a pitcher than at 6'? At least two reasons I believe she is more effective at her current height a) leg stride and b) angle of release. A longer leg stride gets her closer to the front of the circle (and the batter) causing the ball to get to the batter a little quicker than a shorter stride. Secondly, because she is taller, her angle of release is probably higher than a shorter pitcher which is an advantage to the pitcher. When you also factor in a taller pitcher has bigger hands and longer fingers to better spin the ball and is more imposing on the rubber (the intimidation factor) this is a deadly combination.

Oct 22, 2009
Cat also has very long fingers and great flexibility.
Take away her height, fingers, and flexibility, and you may have your average pitcher. She was blessed with multiple genetic gifts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06