Pitcher daughter can't throw overhand to first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2020
My daughter is having issues throwing overhand to first base. She is stressing about it really bad and wants to quit. Is there anyone out there who has dealt with this and can help? She had 1 coach a couple years ago make a REALLY big deal about one throwing error...it has now spiraled out of control. I don't want her to give up but she is embarrassed and is tired of the girls laughing about it behind her back. PLEASE HELP!!

Nov 8, 2018
So ball
Gets hit back to her and she throws it away.
My Dd went through that.
First does the current coach pressure her ? If not great. If so that not going to help her confidence.
What I taught my dd was if it’s a sharp hit to start jogging toward first base. Shorten the throw and it’s an easy flip.
Also reminded her that she has time. Make a good throw don’t worry about how long it takes. Rushing will stress her out. Over time she will pick up the pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2020
Current coach does not pressure her...she will do the easy filp on balls hit right back or to her left. She needs the confidence back and everything we have tried for the last 6 months is not working.

Aug 20, 2017
All depends on the type of ball she is fielding. If a bunt, I teach RH pitchers to field it with chest toward 1B line. This gets the front shoulder more in line with the target. Come-backer with nobody on base or two outs, run and flip as Dr said. If runners on base and less than two outs on come-backer she should try to get the lead runner (if a force is present). PFPs should be a major focus of practice due to the volume of balls that the pitcher has to field. Rep it over and over and over. Check the 1B player to make sure she is showing chest to the pitcher for the throw. Hope that helps

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's the short distance that causes the problem, it's common, 2nd baseman will also have the issue. As a rule teams generally don't practice soft half-throws. On balls hit directly back to them I like to have my pitchers start running toward 1st base and do a dart throw. We also do a team drill with the players about 20ft apart on their knees. One is the 1st baseman and rolls or bounces balls to a partner who flip throws it back. They throw backhands, forehands, short hops and fast rollers, the idea is to challenge the fielder. There is also value in the short, flip return throw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619