Pinch running - DH Pony Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
My DD has hurt ankle. She will be cleared to run and bat on a limited basis this Friday. If I bat her DH, can I pinch runner based on her injury recovery? She is a pitcher, but not pitching, so doubt a courtesy runner is ok.

Cant get to Pony rules here. Any help would be appreciated.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Only thing coming to mind that is possible, I only have 10 players. Get a league pick up player from another team and list as #11, bat dd 1st inning, substitute her on base with Player #11, let #11 run bases, resubstitute DD, let dd hit, substitute #11 and burn DD. Let #11 finish the game.

is the NSA rule same as Pony?

But is it worth the risk...too early, even though cleared by PT...that is what to really ponder.

If she doesnt get in the game, she wont make minimum half games to play all stars...that is why I am even asking.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Only thing coming to mind that is possible, I only have 10 players. Get a league pick up player from another team and list as #11, bat dd 1st inning, substitute her on base with Player #11, let #11 run bases, resubstitute DD, let dd hit, substitute #11 and burn DD. Let #11 finish the game.

is the NSA rule same as Pony?

But is it worth the risk...too early, even though cleared by PT...that is what to really ponder.

If she doesnt get in the game, she wont make minimum half games to play all stars...that is why I am even asking.

Technically, it counts as a game started and played if you put her in the starting lineup you hand to the umpire and then make a substitution before she sets foot on the field to bat or play defense.

May 30, 2011
My DD has hurt ankle. She will be cleared to run and bat on a limited basis this Friday. If I bat her DH, can I pinch runner based on her injury recovery? She is a pitcher, but not pitching, so doubt a courtesy runner is ok.

I think you mean DP for "Designated Player". DH is a baseball term and a different rule.

Mar 13, 2010

In PONY you can have one of following starting lineup configurations:
1) A lineup with just 9 players.
2) A lineup that has either one or two extra players (EP)....you're batting either 10 or 11 players.
3) A lineup that has a DP/Flex....10 in the lineup but only 9 are batting.

So depending on which of three lineup configurations you select and the number of players left on your bench, would dictate how you could best utilize runners for your DD.

Unless your DD is pitching or catching she is not eligible for a courtesy runner (CR). Absent that, there are not many options here. You can sub for her twice and then she's done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi