PGF vs. ASA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
DD2 e-mailed 14 schools before PGF. 7 of those watched us multiple games. Our Coach just sent the list of schools to thank. It listed 45 Schools. Lots of Pac-12 and every Big10 and at least half of ACC watched us. 1 SEC school is after our 2 04's. PGF is probably the place to be. And the beach is pretty cool too.

You brought up a good point here. As far as my DD's team goes not one girl would play for a Pac-12 or Big-10 school and probably no Big-12 schools. My DD has no interest in playing for a team across the country when the competition and facilities are so great here in the south. So honestly we do not have to go to Cali to play in front of the teams they are interested in. Playing in the Legacy a few weeks ago put them in front of most of the SEC schools along with many other good programs. There are a lot of teams that feel this way. Not saying we will not play PGF but recruiting wont be the driving force behind us going. We are looking at playing out there in the next two years for the experience.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
You brought up a good point here. As far as my DD's team goes not one girl would play for a Pac-12 or Big-10 school and probably no Big-12 schools. My DD has no interest in playing for a team across the country when the competition and facilities are so great here in the south. So honestly we do not have to go to Cali to play in front of the teams they are interested in. Playing in the Legacy a few weeks ago put them in front of most of the SEC schools along with many other good programs. There are a lot of teams that feel this way. Not saying we will not play PGF but recruiting wont be the driving force behind us going. We are looking at playing out there in the next two years for the experience.
Kind of the same reason our team doesn't want to go to Florida and play. We're only a 5 hour drive from some of the best competition and most of our girls want to go to College close to home. However, that doesn't leave lots of options. Being willing to go to school away from home opens more doors. Some will do it and some won't.

Mar 26, 2013
If PGF was interested they could easily be the top Org in Florida. But they do not even hold qualifiers here.
They did this year (Clermont) and I believe last year too. Problem is they don't draw many teams - 18U and 12U were canceled this year.
National Qualifiers - Florida

PGF tried holding qualifiers in FL the first couple years and stopped due to lack of interest from FL teams. The few teams signing up were mostly coming from out of state, so they started holding qualifiers in GA and other SE states instead.

Mar 26, 2013
PGF vs ASA - I'm willing to bet a week's salary that the 10u, 12u, 14u and 16u PGF champs would stomp the ASA champs. That's not to say ASA tournaments aren't well run, but in the end most of the top end talent flocks to Cali for 2 weeks each year.
I would favor PGF, however it wouldn't be a lock. As you said, PGF doesn't get ALL the top teams. It varies by age group and where the corresponding USA/ASA championship is being held as some sites draw stronger teams than others.

PGF has more top teams, so the road to the championship is usually harder. I find it remarkable the 16U champs won 10 straight after losing their 2nd game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
They did this year (Clermont) and I believe last year too. Problem is they don't draw many teams - 18U and 12U were canceled this year.
National Qualifiers - Florida

PGF tried holding qualifiers in FL the first couple years and stopped due to lack of interest from FL teams. The few teams signing up were mostly coming from out of state, so they started holding qualifiers in GA and other SE states instead.

I found they had one last year. Never heard about it. Looks like they could only get 14U & 16U with less than 20 teams total. Weekly NSA gets more teams.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I can tell you that ASA has a big presence here. PGF is trying to make a big push but is still secondary to them. That said, even though the quality of competition wasn't quite there this year. the best Umpires I had for an entire tournament start to finish was in USSSA tournaments. According to my parents, they also provided the best facilities out of all the tournaments we played this year between the 3 organizations. I have to agree on that as well. USSSA used to be nothing more than rec all-stars teams competing in this state. It used to be a joke. However, between the venues, umpiring and their top notch website, I can see them making a serious dent in Ohio as far as the other 2 organizations go. They're also the only organization currently in Ohio that plans on adding a 23U age bracket to their tournaments as part of their normal schedule so that's a huge plus also. Lookout Ohio, USSSA is on the move!

Oct 4, 2016
ASA used to be the top org in Florida. Unfortunately now it is just another money grab. Stay to play and 2 or 3 game guarantee held in locations that are convenient for the TD, not the teams. All to play in national tournament held in the middle of a cow pasture in some obscure destination. If PGF was interested they could easily be the top Org in Florida. But they do not even hold qualifiers here.

They hold qualifiers in Florida. Take a look: Premier Girls Fastpitch

The issue I think they have is that there isn't enough interest. How many teams do you know of are going to want to fly cross-country for a week of softball. Teams that will want to do that already do.

Oct 4, 2016
Kind of the same reason our team doesn't want to go to Florida and play. We're only a 5 hour drive from some of the best competition and most of our girls want to go to College close to home. However, that doesn't leave lots of options. Being willing to go to school away from home opens more doors. Some will do it and some won't.

So just curious your location says heatbox, I take it you're in the Valley of the Sun? Mizuno Storm or Suncats??

Mar 26, 2013
I found they had one last year. Never heard about it. Looks like they could only get 14U & 16U with less than 20 teams total. Weekly NSA gets more teams.
Sounds like the 2017 qualifier that I linked. There was also a qualifier in Myrtle Beach that weekend and they drew a few more teams, including some 18U - National Qualifier - Myrtle Beach.

PGF national qualifiers typically don't have pool games and only play brackets out far enough to determine berths, so they're usually only of interest to teams that want to get a berth. That's a much smaller pool of teams than ones looking for a competitive tourney, especially in your neck of the woods.

Dec 11, 2010
Couple random comments.... ASA/USA seems to be making a real comeback in the Midwest. Possibly due to Olympics/National team?

State directors/metro area directors matter. If they are doing their job, no matter what the sanction, play and competition improves.

I agree with another comment that the umpiring at ASA nationals in Normal was very good overall. I like to poke fun at ASA and their equipment fetish but I also like how well the games are run at an ASA tournament.

I thought competition at 16u ASA nationals was very good, we kept thinking we might finally get an easy game but it was dogfight after dogfight. There was a PGF regional championship just up the road at the same time and the teams there were not even close in quality. (This was during Huntington Beach but most teams in our area playing PGF don't go out there)

In order to grow, PGF has to accept watered down competition in some way. There are only x number of teams that play at the highest level that they have become associated with.

I don't really care where nationals are held. It's not a vacation to me and if I was going on vacation it sure as hell isn't going to be Denver, Boulder, Chattanooga or Huntington Beach.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles