PGF vs. ASA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2015
PGF vs ASA - I'm willing to bet a week's salary that the 10u, 12u, 14u and 16u PGF champs would stomp the ASA champs. That's not to say ASA tournaments aren't well run, but in the end most of the top end talent flocks to Cali for 2 weeks each year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
PGF vs ASA - I'm willing to bet a week's salary that the 10u, 12u, 14u and 16u PGF champs would stomp the ASA champs. That's not to say ASA tournaments aren't well run, but in the end most of the top end talent flocks to Cali for 2 weeks each year.

Do not know how much you make but I am definitely in!

Jun 15, 2013
We played PGF 14 last week. We had anywhere from 10-25 D1coaches at every game. Mostly head coaches. Every P5 school was present. I am curious what recruiting presence was at ASA 14 Nationals?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We played PGF 14 last week. We had anywhere from 10-25 D1coaches at every game. Mostly head coaches. Every P5 school was present. I am curious what recruiting presence was at ASA 14 Nationals?

Less than that but still a lot of coaches there. I was pleasantly surprised and they were at every game where a decent team was playing. Someone posted on here last week that it was more regional and I could see that. Personally I would rather spend a week recruiting in Huntington Beach than Chattanooga but if they have a team they are watching someone will show up. We had coaches at every game and I was really surprised to see Minnesota at the park.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Interesting about coach attendance and ASA Nationals.
We just played Eastern 16U A, and placed 3rd.
If there were college coaches there scouting, they were in disguise...

Makes sense that all the real recruiting happens at the "big girl" ASA Nationals in Normal, IL,
and not the "regional Nationals".
Maybe next year... (we are a very young 16U team.)

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

I would take a piece of that too. I can say at the 14U level the top team in Chattanooga would have probably be in the running as the bracket wrapped up in California. There were several other teams that could beat anyone on any given day. Take a look at the Sparkler Jr. for 14's this year and there is a good mix of PGF and ASA teams playing each other. Teams that played ASA had a good showing. The team that won it also won TCS Southeast Nationals against teams that headed to PGF.

I think the travel plays into playing ASA Nationals versus PGF. It would be hard to justify going across the country when ASA is a short drive for many top teams. I really don't understand teams from the SE that went out there to play in the Platinum bracket.

Jun 15, 2013
I am not surprised Minnesota was there. Their new coach was at Iowa State before so I am sure she had been following several teams present at ASA Nats. Minnesota was at PGF Premeir also.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
We played mostly ASA/USA tournaments, with a little USSSA and FASA sprinkled in. I would say a large majority of the tournaments with in several hundred miles from me are one of these 3. I hadn't really seen much if any of PGF around here, so just checked their website. They do have a couple of tournaments within a few hours drive from here, but one thing that stood out is the cost. It looks like PGF tournaments are about $200+ more than most of the ones that we played in.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 e-mailed 14 schools before PGF. 7 of those watched us multiple games. Our Coach just sent the list of schools to thank. It listed 45 Schools. Lots of Pac-12 and every Big10 and at least half of ACC watched us. 1 SEC school is after our 2 04's. PGF is probably the place to be. And the beach is pretty cool too.

May 17, 2012
but in the end most of the top end talent flocks to Cali for 2 weeks each year.

But they don't because not everyone wants to fly to California and play. There is very little difference between the top teams in ASA and PGF in my humble opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles