PC Interviews

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2011
My DD is changing PC's this summer and we have 2 PC's who we are trying to decide between. Both are generally regarded as great coaches and both have already shown interest in coaching DD. However, both PC's are about an hour away from where we live and we've never personally met either of them. Would it be inappropriate to ask each PC to let us come visit them and discuss what their plans would be with DD? I guess it would be like an interview. DD is 8 and I want to get her with a PC that will take her as far as she wants to go. I don't want to change PC's in another year or two.

We are changing now b/c our current PC is a business owner and she doesn't have time to commit to the level DD deserves. She's a good coach. Actually, one of our 2 PC's we are interested in was her PC growing up.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
You should be able to visit them and watch how they instruct, an observer, so to speak.

I would be somewhat leary of a private instructor or facility that did NOT allow observers. As far as asking the instructor a bunch of questions, that can take time their schedule might not allow.

You have to remember, there is no generic kid and no generic pitching student either. An instructor can give you a game plan but that does not mean it will be written in stone and will be exactly what will be best for your kid.

Each student has to be evaluated individually. Hopefully you can schedule a single session, so that your kid and the instructor can see if they like each other.

Some instructors are excellent working with the high schoolers, however, the young ones dont like them. Some instructors are just the exact opposite.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Mar 25, 2011
Or email. Pitching concepts should be conveyed pretty easily. I would also consider that a teacherthattaught your dd's current teacher could be very old school concepts. That might be questions to be had. If you are an IR guy, that isn't taught a lot... Maybe some video of girls she's teaching.now?

Aug 21, 2008
My DD is changing PC's this summer and we have 2 PC's who we are trying to decide between. Both are generally regarded as great coaches and both have already shown interest in coaching DD. However, both PC's are about an hour away from where we live and we've never personally met either of them. Would it be inappropriate to ask each PC to let us come visit them and discuss what their plans would be with DD? I guess it would be like an interview. DD is 8 and I want to get her with a PC that will take her as far as she wants to go. I don't want to change PC's in another year or two.

We are changing now b/c our current PC is a business owner and she doesn't have time to commit to the level DD deserves. She's a good coach. Actually, one of our 2 PC's we are interested in was her PC growing up.

I got an email from someone the other day asking me to send video of my "style" so they could compare to what they were currently doing, as they wanted to make a change from their current way of pitching. I absolutely HATE when people say this to me or something similar... I know what they mean and are trying to say but, THIS IS NOT MY STYLE!!! I do NOT teach a "style" of pitching!!!! It drives me bonkers.

Asking to observe can be a tricky thing sometimes. It's absolutely appropriate to ask questions, find out more info, etc. But keep in mind... your DD is 8 yrs old. You need to find someone who can make pitching FUN for her at the same time. So finding someone she clicks with is a big part. Pitching practices are boring and monotonous sometimes. You get 1 minute of attention per year of age, in general. So make sure someone can make her enjoy it and learn at the same time.

Bill

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
When I get emails or calls asking about lessons, I generally recommend that the parents and player come up and observe a lesson so they can see how I work and how I relate to students. I give them the times I'm teaching and let them select when they want to come so they know it's an accurate sample and not a set-up.

I also encourage a sample lesson for the same reasons listed above. No sense making a big commitment if the player doesn't want to do it the way I teach it, or the parents think she should be touching her shoulder with her hand and slamming the door closed. (I do lose some because I don't teach that nonsense.)

Was working with two sisters today. Older sister (HS freshman) was doing well. She bought in and was improving, especially in speed. Younger sister, who has pitched a little more in rec league didn't seem too interested in doing what I was telling her. I finally asked if she just wanted to keep pitching the way she pitches instead of doing what I was telling her. She said yes, which I figured based on her face. She had that "swallowed a turd" look. So I ended her session eight minutes in. No sense fighting it, especially in a youngster. Her dad knows it's a dead end but that doesn't matter. Until his daughter realizes it there's a reason to change it's a waste of everyone's time. We'll see if she gets on board.

A lot of the meet and great can be done via the phone. Your DD's 8yo, learning to harness her body, mechanics and mental thought processes. I'd lean towards the coach who loves/specializes in young pitchers. A seasoned vet may not be 'the one'. Also keep in mind that changing PC's (or hitting coaches) after while is common and neccesary as the student/coach relationship oten stagnates. Look at it like climbing a ladder, with each new step/stage change is needed. I've heard of some kids that stay with 1 coach...the others that change every 2 years or so IMO show the most growth. Keep in mind private coaches need students, code for income. Some private coaches are like auto repair shops for your car....good/trusting ones are hard to find. So shop around and ask tons of questions. Consider yourself very fortunate being fairly new in the wonderful world of fastpitch!! Being involved in this 'DiscussFastpitch' forum is a GREAT rescource to ask any silly question. A one stop shop for all your fastpitch needs.... :)

Apr 1, 2011
Thanks guys. We had a lesson from 1 of the PC's yesterday and it went great. He showed her a flip-change up and she actually threw it for a strike on the 3rd try. I really liked how he explained the physiology of pitching (to me) and how he explained the hand motions to DD. He said her foot work was great and didn't want to change any of her mechanics. I'm still waiting to hear back from the 2nd PC. I'm kind of in a no-lose situation. Both PC's are highly respected in our area. I just worry about the age of this 1st one. He's 60, but doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. Despite age, he's very current on modern techniques. Now just waiting to hear back from 2nd PC and hopefully she can meet with her and watch her teach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
His age. Ha. I am 57. I still catch all of my lessons and can out work some of the dads. I see a lot of young coaches that really need to lose some weight. So, there. ;)

Oct 22, 2009
I also encourage a sample lesson for the same reasons listed above. No sense making a big commitment if the player doesn't want to do it the way I teach it, or the parents think she should be touching her shoulder with her hand and slamming the door closed. (I do lose some because I don't teach that nonsense.)

Was working with two sisters today. Older sister (HS freshman) was doing well. She bought in and was improving, especially in speed. Younger sister, who has pitched a little more in rec league didn't seem too interested in doing what I was telling her. I finally asked if she just wanted to keep pitching the way she pitches instead of doing what I was telling her. She said yes, which I figured based on her face. She had that "swallowed a turd" look. So I ended her session eight minutes in. No sense fighting it, especially in a youngster. Her dad knows it's a dead end but that doesn't matter. Until his daughter realizes it there's a reason to change it's a waste of everyone's time. We'll see if she gets on board.

I lose patience real quickly with kids that want to do it their way.

I explain to them, I don't care if you want to do it your way or my way, but if your paying me to do it your way, then it just doesn't make sense.

And I feel better knowing that I'm not the only PC that loses students because I don't teach antiquated mechanics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd