Pay at plate—-benefits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Where I umpire, the organization gives us a 1099 for any checks they write us at end of year. They also keep track of all cash games because they want their 10% of every fee we get.

Agree. As an umpire, I am not an employee of any of the schools/orgs I work games for. I am considered an independent contractor. I receive 1099s at the end of the year if I reach a certain threshold (it varies) from any one entity. The hiring org has no withholding responsibilities. That is on me, IF there is any profit after all business-related deductions. Sorry if you really weren't interested in the accounting practices of umpires :rolleyes:. As for pay at plate or check.....meh...I need to track it regardless.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Seems like a lot of tournaments in TX do it..Cowart Sports Productions tournaments seem to do it.
Good ol' Ray Ray and Cindy Cowart!! Their DD was on my DD's first 10U All Star team. I don't think she played after that year, but Ray started and ran his own TB team for a few years. Interesting to see what they are up to now.

Jun 11, 2020
As a small-scale-once-a-year-tournament director I sure wouldn't consider umpires to be employees. They show up for two days, do the job, get paid, and that's it. Informal contract work. I have no work for them the other 363 days of the year. I write them a check so there is a paper trail for my books. How they handle their income taxes is their business. If they don't report it, that's their risk, and we're talking relatively small dollar amounts. Getting paid cash at the plate is not automatic tax evasion any more than getting a check. Again, the tax reporting is on the umpires and they have every opportunity to do so. It's no sketchier than tipping your wait staff or paying a pitching coach.
If we're talking organizations where running tournaments weekend after weekend is their livelihood and they're always hiring the same people, that may be another story.
And your scenario as described at the end of your reply is exactly what I am referring to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi