Pay at plate—-benefits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Any thoughts on the origin and benefits to anyone other than the tournament organizers of a pay at the plate structure? I’m guessing it’s simply a way to give the false appearance of a lower tournament cost—but maybe I’m missing a benefit.

I know we have some umpires on this forum. Is it somehow preferred for you be paid directly by each different team instead of just receiving a lump payment from the tournament director?

From a team standpoint it is so much simpler to just cut one check to the organization holding the tournament instead of a check to them and then needing to make six individual payments to umpires at the start of every game.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I think it has to do with insuring that umpires get paid. It’s the same way in soccer a lot of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's something commonly seen in leagues and friendlies, especially where there's a possibility of differing number of guaranteed games. I can't say I've ever seen it in a regular tournament with pool and bracket play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Any thoughts on the origin and benefits to anyone other than the tournament organizers of a pay at the plate structure?

If your team isn't any good, you pay less for how far you get into the tourney and are not subsidizing the teams that end up playing more games than you.

For teams that are developing or just lack talent - and get knocked out first game most bracket days, it isn't a bad thing.

It can also be a low-cost way of challenging your team - I can play up a level or age group at a smaller cost if it goes badly

Fast Pitch Orlando (which are a well-organized group that run B-ish/C-ish travel option in Florida) do this for all their tournaments.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
It's something commonly seen in leagues and friendlies, especially where there's a possibility of differing number of guaranteed games. I can't say I've ever seen it in a regular tournament with pool and bracket play.
Seems like a lot of tournaments in TX do it..Cowart Sports Productions tournaments seem to do it.

May 21, 2015
South
Tournament directors may have to issue W-2's if they pay for umpires. Pay at plate in cash is good for umpires that do not report income to IRS. Not judging just commenting.

Jul 22, 2015
Any thoughts on the origin and benefits to anyone other than the tournament organizers of a pay at the plate structure? I’m guessing it’s simply a way to give the false appearance of a lower tournament cost—but maybe I’m missing a benefit.

I know we have some umpires on this forum. Is it somehow preferred for you be paid directly by each different team instead of just receiving a lump payment from the tournament director?

From a team standpoint it is so much simpler to just cut one check to the organization holding the tournament instead of a check to them and then needing to make six individual payments to umpires at the start of every game.
Think it's a win for everyone really. Tournament director doesn't have to worry about paying umps and tracking how many games they call, umps get paid in cash and don't have to wait for the money, teams don't pay as much if they only get to play one bracket game. Several (probably most) of the tournaments we play are set up this way in Texas.

Jun 11, 2020

Allows the umpires to evade taxes while also allowing the tournament directors to claim there is no "employer-employee" relationship between the directors and the umpires, thereby avoiding any payroll/income tax withholding issues. Sketchy as hell.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Allows the umpires to evade taxes while also allowing the tournament directors to claim there is no "employer-employee" relationship between the directors and the umpires, thereby avoiding any payroll/income tax withholding issues. Sketchy as hell.
As a small-scale-once-a-year-tournament director I sure wouldn't consider umpires to be employees. They show up for two days, do the job, get paid, and that's it. Informal contract work. I have no work for them the other 363 days of the year. I write them a check so there is a paper trail for my books. How they handle their income taxes is their business. If they don't report it, that's their risk, and we're talking relatively small dollar amounts. Getting paid cash at the plate is not automatic tax evasion any more than getting a check. Again, the tax reporting is on the umpires and they have every opportunity to do so. It's no sketchier than tipping your wait staff or paying a pitching coach.
If we're talking organizations where running tournaments weekend after weekend is their livelihood and they're always hiring the same people, that may be another story.

Aug 25, 2019
Tournament directors may have to issue W-2's if they pay for umpires. Pay at plate in cash is good for umpires that do not report income to IRS. Not judging just commenting.
Where I umpire, the organization gives us a 1099 for any checks they write us at end of year. They also keep track of all cash games because they want their 10% of every fee we get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06