Parents Attacking Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
I hate to state opinions about any of teh sanctioning bodies, but in this case I feel I need to. Personally, there is no way I would ever work a USFA event for the following reasons:

1) Umpires have no business in the crowd control business.
2) Umpires have even ;less business in the fee collection business: per USFA 8-4 All protests must be made with the umpire by the offended team at the time of the play and before the next pitch. A fee of $100.00 IN CASH (emphasis added) must accompany the protest.

Nope, this stuff they have crammed into their rule 8 has nothing to do with umpiring and more to do with administration.
I only stated 8-1 through 8-3. Crowd control comes with telling the coach(s) that is a warning, up to the coach(s) to take care of it after that. Nothing wrong with whoever is overseeing the event to step in as well.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@PapaBear

My point is this: The umpire has ZERO authority outside of the field of play. You say I should warn the coach. Ok I warn the coach, now what? If the crowd issue isn't a parent of a player on that coaches team, s/he can do nothing and I have issued a warning that I can't back up. Sort of like telling a coach "Not one more word", just not a good thing to do. Moreover, if it is an individual who has no relationship to either team, they have now been emboldened and empowered to make your day even more miserable.

Nope, crowd control is a site admin issue. Outside the fence has nothing to do with being an umpire.

Jun 27, 2021
@PapaBear

My point is this: The umpire has ZERO authority outside of the field of play. You say I should warn the coach. Ok I warn the coach, now what? If the crowd issue isn't a parent of a player on that coaches team, s/he can do nothing and I have issued a warning that I can't back up. Sort of like telling a coach "Not one more word", just not a good thing to do. Moreover, if it is an individual who has no relationship to either team, they have now been emboldened and empowered to make your day even more miserable.

Nope, crowd control is a site admin issue. Outside the fence has nothing to do with being an umpire.
Disagree on that, umpire under the rule stated above 8-3 says "Unsportsmanlike from fans, players or coaches may place the entire team in jeopardy of possible forfeit." So ask the coach to control the team/parents/coaches or forfeit. I do agree that admin should be involved but I'll side on the umpire having control of the game if coaches can't control their side.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The problem with this logic/solution is this: What are you ejecting the coach for? S/he has not broken any rule. You are assuming that the problem in the crowd is the parent of one of his/her players. Crows will be what they are and as an umpire we deal with it by trying to tune it out. Nothing else you can do that doesn't in the end make the situation worse. The OTHER people (Coaches, TDs, ADs, league admins) need to step up and take care of this part of the sport (no matter what sport we are talking about)
I am not saying it a perfect solution. I am just saying it works. Once the coach or coaches are in jeopardy of being tossed they convince their parents to shut up.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Disagree on that, umpire under the rule stated above 8-3 says "Unsportsmanlike from fans, players or coaches may place the entire team in jeopardy of possible forfeit." So ask the coach to control the team/parents/coaches or forfeit. I do agree that admin should be involved but I'll side on the umpire having control of the game.
I am not disagreeing with the fact that is what the rule says. I am simply stating, that because of that rule, and putting the responsibility for crowd control on the umpires is why I would never take an assignment under this sanction.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The woman who punched the umpire is banned from the park. But what does that really mean? My girls play in 25 different parks in the area, and I put on a hat and I blend in pretty well.

The woman also got fined $412 or some random amount about that much. In my head, there might be a time I'd like to punch someone and would happily pay $412 to do so. Seemed way too lenient.
Bring cash and you can punch me for $412.

Jun 27, 2021
I am not disagreeing with the fact that is what the rule says. I am simply stating, that because of that rule, and putting the responsibility for crowd control on the umpires is why I would never take an assignment under this sanction.
USFA is a take your money sanction so I don't blame you.

Oct 4, 2018
Ban all fans period. Only players, umpires, coaches, trainers, and tournament directors are allowed. Stream the games and let everyone watch from their phones in the parking lot.

Now you're talking.

I'd love to dump my girl at the field and leave. Seems if I do that nowadays I need some excuse to do that which people will believe. Something about needing to get another kid to another sporting event or something. Making up stories to get back to my couch is getting exhausting.

Oct 10, 2018
Arrested and banned...note the "Mother of the Year" graphic on her T-Shirt in her booking photo. :poop:

Beyond horrible but you do have to laugh that the parent throwing the punch is wearing a "Mother of the Year" shirt in her mug shot. She's banned from town recreational facilities but whomever sanctioned that tourney should ban the "Mother of the Year" for life from attending events so she can't show up at an event in another town.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC