Parental Setback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
When my DD started the journey of becoming a pitcher, I would take scrupulous notes from the sessions with the PC so I could reinforce later. I was too direct with my DD and focused on the negative – there was so much to learn and so much to improve. The pace of her improvement was low and it sometimes caused discomfort between us.

Several years ago I read a management research article about employees that were flourishing or struggling and they mentioned the Losada Ratio. This is the relationship between positive and negative statements: 3 positive comments to 1 negative comment. Their research showed that an employee was more likely to flourish if there was at least a 3:1 relationship between positive and negative comments.

After a session when there was some discomfort between us, I came to a stark realization. What happens if I create a great pitcher but I damage our relationship? It was a frightening thought.

I am absolutely not perfect, but I try to keep this ratio in mind when I am working with my DD. When I started better controlling how I communicate with my DD, she started improving at an increasingly fast pace. And we have a much stronger and mutually trusting relationship.
I think, for me, that is one of the most helpful statements I have read amongst many helpful statements in the parenting forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom