Parent problem..Input please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When I coached 10U rec ball one year, I had the greatest kid from a split marraige on my team.
One practice the field was soaked from earlier rains, so I took advantage and had sliding practice.
The girls had a ball! Toward the end of practice the dad approached me on the field and said his dd
(1st year) should be batting in the top 3 and playing more infield. The stench of gin was overwhelming!
I politely asked him to leave the field and marked him as a danger. Well, the following year I saw him at the soccer
field, he was smiling and approached me while watching my dd's soccer game. All I thought was UH OH!

He shook my hand and thanked me for coaching his daughter, said she was registering again and would love
to play for me. During the conversation he apologized for his abrasive behavior during SB season and said he
was enrolled in AA for the sake of his kids. I see his daughter every so often (she still plays 5 yrs later)
and I now make a point to find him and exchange pleasantries.

THis is the reason I coach both rec and travel. Every now and then, we can help the kids forget about life
for a few hours a week while they are inside the fences.

May 7, 2008
2 DD Dad,

The world of youth sports is so big, and we all see so much. Even if that moment doesn't become a reality overnight, it is a step, and whatever investment you can make in the family will be remembered forever. Perhaps she will play the season, a year, or through school ball...that moment should make your wife very proud as well. Recognition of your dd's inclusive attitude will bless her as well. We were criticized a few years ago about our children being "overinvolved" in sports. My son plays two tournaments a month and my daughter plays two. Now that it is five years later, and I hear about activities that kids are getting involved with, I have such peace. They are doing what they are passionate about, and it happens to be a family affair. My seventeen year old doesn't have to attend their tournaments, but she does for the most part. It is part of our family culture, we have memories we share, it is outdoors, physical activity and great fun. Learning to navigate the negatives are not always easy. Instilling responsibility is not always easy. 2 DD Dad, for all you know that "lightbulb" may have been a turning point for that family. You may have other parents on the team with less of a charitable spirit, but follow your heart. The man who made the greatest impact on my life in my formative years was Mister Rogers. Here is one of his quotes that should inspire and affirm you,

""We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say "It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem." Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes."
— Fred Rogers

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Coach JV, your post reminded me of last fall ball. I was coaching our 12U team. It had recently been announced that our area's paper mill would be shut down. Many of the players had parent(s) that worked there and would soon be out of work. That was weighing very heavily on everyone's minds. It was a hard time, they announced it the night before our HS's Homecoming football game (I'm a junior in high school). We were decorating for the dance; many of us sitting around in tears.

Anyway, several days later the girls had a game. Of course, we addressed the various issues. I told them how lucky they were to have an opportunity to escape everything for an hour and a half. For that hour and a half, they were kids again--thinking of nothing other than softball, gatorade, their teammates, and getting to the concession stand after the game.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Sorry to drag back up an old post, but I really needed to follow up on this one.
You cannot believe the turnaround that has occured with this young girl and her family. She is playing amazing, she is very outgoing with her teammates, she ALWAYS has a big smile on her face, and she was harrassing me at batting practice the other day for throwing her bad pitches. Heck, Her two parents wouldn't even talk to each other were standing joking around with each other after our game last week.

Softball has already had a very positive influence on this girls life.

The reason I bring this back up is to once again thank you all for your input on this. I was stuck and could not figure out how to even approach this. Everyone on here gave me some great advice from a different point of view, and it helped open my eyes to the path I was able to take.

This is my best "win" of the season, and you all share in it equally. Sometimes thank you just doesn't seem like enough.

May 13, 2008
That is awesome. If you want to bump this post up again, two or three times a year, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. :)

Feb 8, 2009
Great story! When you get a chance to look back in a few years, I'll bet this will be the thing you remember. Scores? Who won what games?Batting average? They all kind of blur together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi